Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default India Ink Ebonizing

A question was asked in rec.woodworking about ways to "ebonize"
maple. I'd been wanting to do that to some maple finials I've done
for christmas ornament. The question got me off my butt and
out to the shop with the india ink I bought for just that purpose.

Put up a temporary page to show the results

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T.../Tempwood.html

Interesting.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I've had excellent luck with india ink. If you want sharp demarcation
lines, a razor cut to just slice into the top couple of thousandths will
stop the ink from wicking along the grain -

"charlieb" wrote in message
A question was asked in rec.woodworking about ways to "ebonize"
maple. I'd been wanting to do that to some maple finials I've done
for christmas ornament. The question got me off my butt and
out to the shop with the india ink I bought for just that purpose.

Put up a temporary page to show the results

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T.../Tempwood.html

Interesting.

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"charlieb" wrote in message
A question was asked in rec.woodworking about ways to "ebonize"
maple. I'd been wanting to do that to some maple finials I've done
for christmas ornament. The question got me off my butt and
out to the shop with the india ink I bought for just that purpose.

Put up a temporary page to show the results

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T.../Tempwood.html

Interesting.

Thanks for the tips- both of them. I've ebonized using india ink on
ash and oak, with good results, but never wanted to try it on maple,
considering how blotchy the stuff likes to get when stained. Good to
know it works on it.

ebonizing maple Joe Woodworking 22 January 25th 08 12:13 AM
ebonizing maple Joe Woodworking 6 January 17th 08 05:53 PM
Ebonizing Hedley Woodworking 10 September 19th 05 04:09 PM
[OT more-or-less] Ebonizing With India Ink Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 0 March 17th 05 10:08 PM
adventures in ebonizing [email protected] Woodworking 6 October 5th 04 05:28 AM