Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Thread in wood

Hi
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but can anyone point me in the
right direction for ways to make a short thread in wood.
Its for my father to repair a hinged mirror, I've been on Google and can't
find anything really suitable.
TIA
Anthony

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If it is a standard size, use the appropriate metal tap. Maple, lignum vitae
and likely a lot of other woods have been tapped that way for many many
years.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"Anthony" wrote in message
Hi
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but can anyone point me in
the right direction for ways to make a short thread in wood.
Its for my father to repair a hinged mirror, I've been on Google and can't
find anything really suitable.
TIA
Anthony

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I was wondering what you ment by 'thread'. It would depend on what
size thread you want, and internal or external. There are hand thread
chasing, and there are machined ones, and Beall (the same ones who
make the buffing system) has some threading accessories.

robo hippy

On Jan 15, 9:18*am, "Darrell Feltmate"
wrote:
If it is a standard size, use the appropriate metal tap. Maple, lignum vitae
and likely a lot of other woods have been tapped that way for many many
years.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canadahttp://aroundthewoods.comhttp://roundopinions.blogspot.com"Anthony" wrote in message

Hi
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but can anyone point me in
the right direction for ways to make a short thread in wood.
Its for my father to repair a hinged mirror, I've been on Google and can't
find anything really suitable.
TIA
Anthony

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 15, 8:43 am, "Anthony"
wrote:
Hi
Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but can anyone point me in the
right direction for ways to make a short thread in wood.
Its for my father to repair a hinged mirror, I've been on Google and can't
find anything really suitable.
TIA
Anthony

Hello Anthony,

I doubt that it is worth the cost for one thread to repair a hinged
mirror, but my book, "Making Screw Threads in Wood" is a good place to
start learning how to make threads in wood. If you can't find a copy
of it anywhere, I have a few copies on hand for sale. If you are
looking to make an internal (female) thread, the easiest way is the
use of a tap. You can tap wood if the hole has some endgrain and some
side grain as in a flat board. However, the wood needs to be fairly
hard, pine for example would be way too soft. If you are talking
external thread in wood a die or screw box would work. If it is coarse
thread, one can actually layout the external thread and then cut it
with a chisel or file.

I hope this helps you a bit.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Anthony" wrote in message

Thanks Darrell.Robo and Fred.
I've had a word with him and its for an external thread for a wooden 'bolt'
that fits through the frame into the surround that holds the mirror. He has
borrowed my Tap n Die set to have a try at making the part.
Thanks again for your help.
Anthony

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

the only mirror I have with a wooden threaded part is quite old, the thread
is around one or two threads per inch. Nothing a modern tap would help
with - it might be worth trying to get some idea of what these threads look
like

"Anthony" wrote in message

"Anthony" wrote in message

Thanks Darrell.Robo and Fred.
I've had a word with him and its for an external thread for a wooden
'bolt' that fits through the frame into the surround that holds the
mirror. He has borrowed my Tap n Die set to have a try at making the part.
Thanks again for your help.
Anthony

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"William Noble" wrote in message
.. .
the only mirror I have with a wooden threaded part is quite old, the
thread is around one or two threads per inch. Nothing a modern tap would
help with - it might be worth trying to get some idea of what these
threads look like

Hi William,
It seems there 'was' a thread and bolt there at one time, but damage by a
few repairs and heavy glue use have made it impossible to measure any
remaining thread and a new piece will have to be inserted and re-veneered to
try to hide the damage. So he hopes that any thread will work on the new
bolts and inserted pieces.
If the thread was as you describe and he decided to try and match the way it
was, is there an old tool or way of making the threads that size?
Thanks
Anthony