Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Ideas using Scraps

Sunday projects:
I never throw anything away, so the thin strips of plywood left over
after replacing rotten soffits had been collecting. Also needed some
sort of storage for heavy hardware, sandpaper disks, and few other
things. This is the melding of these two situations:

Storage Cabinet:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc.../Scraps02l.jpg
1/4" and 3/8" leftover ply. Holds 16 plastic storage bins (made in
Israel, don't remember the brand) bought on sale at Lowes last year
for $5. Heavy duty - holds heavy hardware/screws with aplomb. May
install a handle and hardboard door for portability and dust barrier.
Will be mounted on wall next to DIY wall cabinets of the same height.
Used the old, obsolete siphon fed paint gun to spray on a coat of 1#
shellac and leftover Latex - just to stay in practice. Needs another
coat - even with the shellac prime, the crappy ply soaks up paint.

Sanding Disk Storage for 2" and 3" disks:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc.../Scraps01l.jpg
Leftover 1/4" ply. Leftover strips of coated hardboard. Dados,
rabbets. glue and brads. Compartments are big enough to store cut
strips of roll sandpaper. Once I determine what grades I consume the
most of, I probably won't continue to buy the pre-cut round disks. Got
tired of fumbling through a stack of plastic bags to find the desired
grit. Could probably use lids as well; to keep out dust and crud.

Extended tool-safe Live Center:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc.../Scraps03l.jpg
An old poplar dowel cut to length and turned with the profile of the
removed stock live center point. Shellacked. Got tired of trying to
cut close in with that metal bearing sheath in the way. These extended
points won't burn the wood or drill a hole into the base that has to
be subsequently removed. They are tool safe, easy and cheap to make.
Not all that secure, but perfect for those times when you need just a
bit of pressure on the base.

Finishing Rotisserie: (same pix as above)
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc.../Scraps03l.jpg
When using oil based poly or anything that might sag or run, this
lathe attachment allows the piece to rotate at slow speed for hours on
end - just like your barbeque chicken. In fact, the drive mechanism
IS an old grill rotisserie motor. (Garage Sales) I made a drive shaft
from 3/8" rod by heating the end red hot, flattening into a square,
and grinding to the correct profile to match the motor assembly. The
spindle end was then threaded for a nut with a taper ground onto one
end so that tightening expands the tubing in the spindle, thereby
locking it into place. A washer is soldered to the middle to hold the
other end of the tubing and locate the shaft on the spindle. Rotation
expands it even more. Although the EVS lathe will run at slow speeds,
the noise, power consumption, and heat generated by the motor when its
cooling fan is ineffective makes this a must have if you like thick
finishes free of defects. Approximately 3 RPM.

Then there is this thing:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...oganyopen2.jpg
A pot with a minor open segment feature ring. Honduras Mahogany,
Black Walnut, Maple, Ebony. A catch resulted in the top being a far
different profile than what I was aiming for.

Nothing major here, just a few thoughts for those who may have similar
needs and a few possible solutions.

FWIW,

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 7, 7:52*am, Greg wrote:
Sunday projects:

SNIP of good stuff

Then there is this thing:http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...oganyopen2.jpg
A pot with a minor open segment feature ring. *Honduras Mahogany,
Black Walnut, Maple, Ebony. A catch resulted in the top being a far
different profile than what I was aiming for.

Greg - that sure turned out great! I like he design and the choice of
woods you picked to turn your vessel. What did you use for your final
finish?

Nothing major here, just a few thoughts for those who may have similar
needs and a few possible solutions.

Don't be so modest. You did some good work and I appreciate the fact
you took time to document and share your efforts. I am sure many
others do too. Don't forget... lots of lurkers around here, but few
posters. I think a lot of folks will find your post really helpful.

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

said:

On Jan 7, 7:52*am, Greg wrote:
Sunday projects:

SNIP of good stuff

Then there is this thing:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoc...oganyopen2.jpg
A pot with a minor open segment feature ring. *Honduras Mahogany,
Black Walnut, Maple, Ebony. A catch resulted in the top being a far
different profile than what I was aiming for.

Greg - that sure turned out great! I like he design and the choice of
woods you picked to turn your vessel. What did you use for your final
finish?

Thanks! It's OK, but would have been far better had I followed the
original plan without incident. Of course, there are many occurrences
in life I could argue the same. :-\ I did put a few in a friends
art gallery before Christmas - no takers. I'm thinking best haul 'em
down to Fort Lauderdale or up to Cape Cod to actually move one.
It's already like selling child, only to find out that it is unwanted.

Nothing major here, just a few thoughts for those who may have similar
needs and a few possible solutions.

Don't be so modest. You did some good work and I appreciate the fact
you took time to document and share your efforts. I am sure many
others do too. Don't forget... lots of lurkers around here, but few
posters. I think a lot of folks will find your post really helpful.

Aw, shucks. ;-) Had a few minutes last night between attacks of
narcolepsy. I have noticed that many prefer to use other's plans, so
there ya go. As for lurkers v. posters, my only wish is that the one
who posts 98 percent OT regurgitated Limbough would vanquish himself.
(Sorry, couldn't resist. Keeps slipping through my filter - en masse.)

Greg G.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Greg G. said:

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Keeps slipping through my filter - en masse.)

Woops, sorry. Similar but wrong group. Shhh....

Greg G.

Ideas for Scraps Greg G. Woodworking 0 January 7th 08 01:56 PM
And then the scraps NoOne N Particular Woodworking Plans and Photos 7 November 25th 07 12:19 PM
Tossing out scraps Eigenvector Woodworking 21 July 26th 07 07:41 AM
Uses for scraps and chips Edwin Pawlowski Woodworking Plans and Photos 13 June 4th 07 01:40 PM
Mesquite scraps todd Woodworking 10 June 15th 06 07:32 AM