Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turning a wood Cresch

Has anyone turned the figures for a small home nativity scene? I would
very much appreciate a pic and advice. Possibly a reference site or a
publication.

I just turned one, but it's not quite right. It's meant to be rustic
art, symbolic not photo=realism. Joseph is too tall and Mary is too fat
and and the wise men don't look very smart. The animals look like kegs
with spindly legs. A variation on Darrell's angel wings did make a nice
cradle, however. I need help. TIA

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

.....and I can't spell creche!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Linda Van Gehuchten demonstrated this at this year's Portland AAW symposium.
I can't find any design photos on-line, but here is a link to a newsletter with her angels
(about half-way down).
http://mountaineerwoodturners.com/MWOct07.html
I have also posted a photo I took at the Symposium in alt.binaries.pictures.woodturning
under the title:

Turned Nativity Characters by Linda Van Gehuchten

Matt Heffron
Inland Woodturners

("Nativity" is easier to remember how to spell than "Creche"...)

"Arch" wrote in message
....and I can't spell creche!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thank you Matt. I had hoped for more help from the group. Either
Nativity Scenes aren't a popular turning endeavor or except for Matt,
I've been shunned.
Unlikely to be design problems or turning difficulty since entire chess
sets art devised and turned.

Getting over being miffed, I did the best could turned some on my own.
turned out fairly well so I'll share my hokey ideas. Sorry no pics.

Baby Jesus: tiny pure white holly round head short tubular body. Gold
leaf halo.

Crib: Feltmate rustic angel wing.

Wise Men/Kings: Larger mahogany round head with castelatted crown.
straight tubular body.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turning a wood Creche continued.

(I'm sorry, I inadvertently hit the send key)
(You're sorry it wasn't the delete key)

Shepherds: Cherry. Round head, wider tapered cylinder body. Drilled
angled hole near 'shoulder' to insert a black wire crook. Couldn't find
crook shaped twigs to continue the rough & natural theme.

Animals: Cherry. Various size short cylinders with various shaped heads
for sheep & cattle inserted at one end at various angles. Four holes
drilled at various angles for1/8" dowel legs.

Angels' wings: small flat sea shells glued to upper back.

Halos: Half of small bivalve sea shells glued to back of head.

Sanding & Finish: None

Manger: Small cardboard box. Aluminum foil star.

Manger straw: Dried grass from my yard and chips from the mess I made
of all of this.

Thank Goodness families are forgiving and always like whatever we turn.
Hope the real cast of characters in the manger feel the same ....and you
do too.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter