Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Vaccuum systems

I was wondering if anyone else has their vaccuum system connected by PVC
pipe and if so, do they have it grounded.
Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin Cleary wrote:

I was wondering if anyone else has their vaccuum system connected by PVC
pipe and if so, do they have it grounded.
Thanks,
Kevin

Yes and NO. I am using 4" PVC pipe overhead and do not have it grounded.
Did you ever see the (Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the
most!) - who are the two guys who test all the theories? - anyway, they did
a segment on the static build up on PVC and found that it just does not
build enough to give a significant discharge, if any at all. It seems PVC
is really lousy at holding a charge.

Deb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Kevin Cleary" wrote: I was wondering if anyone else has their vaccuum
system connected by PVC
pipe and if so, do they have it grounded.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have my vacuum hooked up with 1" flexible plastic tubing (Tygon) and it is
not grounded. I don't see any need--there is not enough air flow in a
vacuum line, even with minor leaks, to generate much static electricity.
You really have to have dry air, vigorous motion and very good insulation to
generate sparks.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article d4pVi.5972$%r.1350@trnddc01,
"Kevin Cleary" wrote:

I was wondering if anyone else has their vaccuum system connected by PVC
pipe and if so, do they have it grounded.
Thanks,
Kevin

I guess I need to ask, which kind? Dust collection or vacuum clamping?

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Kevin Cleary wrote:
I was wondering if anyone else has their vaccuum system connected by PVC
pipe

Yes.

and if so, do they have it grounded.

No.

I like to live dangerously. ;-)

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Dr. Deb" wrote:

Yes and NO. I am using 4" PVC pipe overhead and do not have it grounded.
Did you ever see the (Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the
most!) - who are the two guys who test all the theories? - anyway, they
did
a segment on the static build up on PVC and found that it just does not
build enough to give a significant discharge, if any at all. It seems PVC
is really lousy at holding a charge.

The two guys you are thinking of are Adam Savage, And Jamie Hyneman, from
the Mythbusters. While they did prove PVC has a hard time holding a
significant charge, I personally like to ground my vacuum tubing. As all it
takes is one small spark and the right dust condisitions to create a
potential flash fire.

But thats just my two cents.

Donald Vivian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 20:54:06 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Kevin Cleary" wrote: I was wondering if anyone else has their vaccuum
system connected by PVC
pipe and if so, do they have it grounded.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have my vacuum hooked up with 1" flexible plastic tubing (Tygon) and it is
not grounded. I don't see any need--there is not enough air flow in a
vacuum line, even with minor leaks, to generate much static electricity.
You really have to have dry air, vigorous motion and very good insulation to
generate sparks.

Good point, Leo... we've been at about 20% humidity for a week or so and the
cats have gotten shocked enough to be afraid of us, but they haven't burst into
flames yet..

I take a lot more precautions for static shock around the computers then the
shop..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article 8fNVi.24511$eD3.20181@trnddc03,
"Kevin Cleary" wrote:

I really meant to label this dust collection not vaccum system.
"Kevin Cleary" wrote in message
I was wondering if anyone else has their vaccuum system connected by PVC
pipe and if so, do they have it grounded.
Thanks,
Kevin

There is a difference. While the PCV in a pipe can build little charge,
this is NOT true for the dust moving through the pipe. That's where the
real danger is. The pro's recommend a bare wire through the pipe for
that reason

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

So its best to wrap grounding wire around the PVC and then attach it to a
groounding rod?

Kevin

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Kevin Cleary" wrote in message
newsR_Vi.7057$Q%3.4249@trnddc04...
So its best to wrap grounding wire around the PVC and then attach it to a
groounding rod?

Grounding insulators is a tough task. PVC is a pretty good insulator. Not
to mention that wrapping the outside will do even less for the inside than
the out.

The "pro's" (sic) still haven't produced a single instance of dust explosion
in a sanding dust pipe, and the science says the density, particle size and
heat of the spark which would jump from the pipe to the interior ground (?)
are not likely to hit a perfect combination, even if they were the proper
charges

http://www.esdsystems.com/training/staticgeneration.htm.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

no, no, no, no.

if you are going to do this at all, you need the wire inside the pipe - I'd
use steel instrument wire because it will resist the dust abrasion, and I'd
drill a little tiny hole in the pipe occasionally to "sew" the wire through
so it stays on the side of the pipe. or, there is conductive pipe
available - frequently the black pipe is conductive enough to prevent static
build up, but you would want to check this via the specifications.

You can attach the wire to any ground, a rod, the conduit in which you
electrical power runs, a water pipe, etc.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Asking isn't the same as thinking, but it's a fair substitute and easier
for me, so: ********************************************

How abrasive is the dust from a woodturning shop at the dust removal
velocities encountered in a turning shop? Does it abrade PVC walls?

Between the fixed PVC and the moving dust are electrons stripped off
some or all of the dust particles or they stripped off the PVC? IOW, is
the charge (voltage) between dust and PVC tubing or between dust
particles?

Does living in areas of high humidity remove/lessen the possibility of
explosion from shop dust? Is there a correlation between relative
humidity and charging of dust moving in turning shop dust removal
situations'? Is the threshold RH known?

What is the ground wire inside the PVC pipe supposed to prevent; ie.
does the dust burn like gasoline vapor in a car's engine or does it
explode, whatever the difference is.

Would a humidifier reduce the risk of explosion in dry climes or would
it just make the turner uncomfortable and rust all his tools?

I know there are supposed to be no foolish questions, but asking without
thinking produced the above. Sorry.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi jev, I appreciate your response, but I'm unsure of your intent. I
thought these were legitimate questions and I don't like to assume
knowledge which I have not. Did the site you suggested not get posted
or did you refer to mine in some way ?

If you were not pleased, I regret the misunderstanding, but I still
would appreciate answers from someone who knows. I could look it up, but
better to get a friendly reply from a woodturner's slant.

Thanks in advance for your explanation.

Regards, Arch

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Wow! What a great link. Many thanks, jev.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter