Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TWW TWW is offline

Default gag gifts?

A few weeks back I cut a hole through the bottom of a bowl. This
sounded like one of those design opportunities so I finished the bowl
and then used a woodburning tool to make the hole into a zero as part
of '2007' on the bottom of the bowl.

It then occured to me one could make a gag gift called a 'bottomless
bowl'. You fill the bowl with wrapped candy on a table and then get
someone to pick it up and look at the bottomless bowl and get a
surprise as the candy comes falling through.

We left one of these bottomless bowls at a friend's house as a 'thank
you' gift after staying overnight and heard the friend is having fun
with it on other unsuspecting guests. I suppose I should mention I am
retired and can remember the practical joke era from 40 years ago. I
am not sure what younger people would think of an idea like this
one.

My question is anyone aware of any other silly ideas like bottomless
bowls one could make on a lathe? I should mention I am asking this
assuming this is a family site

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 06:43:26 -0700, TWW wrote:

[...]

The technical term for those is a "funnel".. DAMHIKT

When you have a few, make a fountain..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi TWW. I realize this a family group, but if bathroom humor is
acceptable, how about a 'stool sample'. If this is too much, how about
a jack in the box?

*************************************
1. Obtain some opaque plastic film roll containers or transparent ones
and paint the inside brown. I got mine free from Walgreens' photo dept.

2. Turn some discs for the seats about 1/4 in thick that fit snugly
into the containers.

3. Drill 3 angled holes in the disc for legs. use match sticks or
turned decorative legs just long enough so the stool fits snugly.

4. Label the container, "Stool Sample".

My doctor _had a particularly "superior" and uppity secretary who
bullied and embarrassed some defenseless patients. One morning I
brought a "stool sample" up to her little window and in a loud voice
asked her to please check if it was satisfactory and if I had filled it
full enough since it was a little runny and a day old. She spluttered a
refusal, so I said I would open it for her to inspect. The entire
waiting room roared when I took the cap off and let the "stool sample"
fall out on her box office shelf.

I realize that bathroom humor will turn off many of our group, but you
did say "silly".

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article . com,
TWW wrote:
My question is anyone aware of any other silly ideas like bottomless

The classic use of a lathe is to make tuits round ;-) then you can hand
them to people who keep waiting 'til they get a round tuit to do
something.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"TWW" wrote in message
ups.com...
My question is anyone aware of any other silly ideas like bottomless
bowls one could make on a lathe? I should mention I am asking this
assuming this is a family site

I did give this one to the daughter and her husband. See ABPW.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Family group? Then I won't mention my phallic bottle stopper. Oops, I
guess I did mention it. Oh, well, I may as well go on and tell you it was
done using offset turning techniques. I did only one, because if you've
seen one, you'e seen them all.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I like it. One of these days I need to get a life, but I like it.

God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS Canada
http://aroundthewoods.com

--
Đà
"TWW" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TWW TWW is offline

On Sep 27, 4:36 pm, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:
Family group? Then I won't mention my phallic bottle stopper. Oops, I
guess I did mention it. Oh, well, I may as well go on and tell you it was
done using offset turning techniques. I did only one, because if you've
seen one, you'e seen them all.

Since I was not sure who read these posts, at first I did not want to
mention I tried making a few Pull-A-Boner winestoppers before
discovering funnels The winestoppers might not go over too
well at craft shows.