Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Update on Lilac

After getting the lilac home I waxed the ends straight away. Only 3 weeks
later it split so badly that it could be used only for the barbecue. So as
far as I am concerned lilac is useless for turning and I won't attempt to
use it again.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Tom Dougall" wrote in
:

After getting the lilac home I waxed the ends straight away. Only 3
weeks later it split so badly that it could be used only for the
barbecue. So as far as I am concerned lilac is useless for turning
and I won't attempt to use it again.

Tom

How did the barbecue taste? ;-)

Patriarch
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Tom Dougall" wrote:

After getting the lilac home I waxed the ends straight away. Only 3 weeks
later it split so badly that it could be used only for the barbecue. So as
far as I am concerned lilac is useless for turning and I won't attempt to
use it again.

Tom

I have some small pieces (under 3/4 square) that come out fine. A friend
has a chunk that is better then 2x2, how he did it would be a good
question

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Turn it very thin very quickly after it is cut. I have actually been able
to make hollow vessels out of the wild grape vine that grows around here.
My largest was about 4" in diameter when I turned it, 2 weeks later after it
dried it was about 3".

When that stuff is cut during the growing season water pours out of it. The
pieces I have let sit in my woodpile have tremendous cracks, they usually
get one giant crack that opens up about 90 to 120 degrees. I use this wood
for small finials and such because I like the color. I keep trying to get
my hands on some larger lilac but I keep missing out.

Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
www.lehighvalleywoodturners.com

"Tom Dougall" wrote in message
After getting the lilac home I waxed the ends straight away. Only 3
weeks later it split so badly that it could be used only for the barbecue.
So as far as I am concerned lilac is useless for turning and I won't
attempt to use it again.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom Dougall wrote:
: After getting the lilac home I waxed the ends straight away. Only 3 weeks
: later it split so badly that it could be used only for the barbecue. So as
: far as I am concerned lilac is useless for turning and I won't attempt to
: use it again.

I had some that did the dsame thing -- basically the stuff shattered.
I wasn't too upset -- I roughed out a vase, and the lilac smell was so
strong (and this was OUTside) I thought I'd been dropped in a perfume vat.

-- Andy Barss

Lilac Tom Dougall Woodturning 6 July 1st 07 07:31 AM
lilac Kevin Cleary Woodturning 3 March 1st 07 12:09 AM
Experience turning lilac wood ? Leo Van Der Loo Woodturning 13 June 5th 05 12:43 PM
Lilac bush/tree trunk usefull? Lynn Coffelt Woodturning 4 February 9th 05 04:16 PM
Lilac? darin-N O S P A M-nntp2 Woodworking 10 May 19th 04 10:22 PM