Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
TonyM TonyM is offline

Default Update on Lilac

Turn it very thin very quickly after it is cut. I have actually been able
to make hollow vessels out of the wild grape vine that grows around here.
My largest was about 4" in diameter when I turned it, 2 weeks later after it
dried it was about 3".

When that stuff is cut during the growing season water pours out of it. The
pieces I have let sit in my woodpile have tremendous cracks, they usually
get one giant crack that opens up about 90 to 120 degrees. I use this wood
for small finials and such because I like the color. I keep trying to get
my hands on some larger lilac but I keep missing out.

Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
www.lehighvalleywoodturners.com

"Tom Dougall" wrote in message
After getting the lilac home I waxed the ends straight away. Only 3
weeks later it split so badly that it could be used only for the barbecue.
So as far as I am concerned lilac is useless for turning and I won't
attempt to use it again.

Tom