Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Sanding pad cleaning?

I bought a Rigid R2600 hook and eye orbital sander that also came with
a pressure sensitive pad. After using it a few times, I put on the
piece of sanding paper that came with it, not realizing it was for a
pressure sensitive pad. It left a residue on the pad and now the
hook and eye pads won't stay attached. How can I get the goo off my
pad so that I can use the hook & eye sandpaper?

I thought about just buying pressure sensitive paper instead but the
local home depot doesn't sell it.

Thanks,

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 17:01:13 -0700, NoOne N Particular

I bought a Rigid R2600 hook and eye orbital sander that also came with
a pressure sensitive pad. After using it a few times, I put on the
piece of sanding paper that came with it, not realizing it was for a
pressure sensitive pad. It left a residue on the pad and now the
hook and eye pads won't stay attached. How can I get the goo off my
pad so that I can use the hook & eye sandpaper?

I thought about just buying pressure sensitive paper instead but the
local home depot doesn't sell it.

Thanks,

Bill

I have cleaned some velcro using mineral spirits to clean the goo off. Then, if
you need the spirits cleaned off, follow with a good soap and water wash. That
isn't as easy as it sounds because you must be sure not go get the water into
the sander.

Having said that, it might also be possible that you may have ruined the velcro
with too much heat. Look at it closely to see if there is any sign on melting.

The other thing to look for, while you're inspecting it, is to see if
you have broken the hooks on the pad- if you ran it for any period of
time without the proper velcro paper on it, it's a good possibility
that you've worn the hooks right down to where they're now more
bristle than hook. We had a couple of sanders like that at work, and
the only fix is a new pad.