Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Scored some 'new' wood

Saturday the wife and I drove about a bit looking at garage and yard
sales. We found one and stopped to look over the stuff for sale.
Ended up buying some decent plates. The elderly lady who lived there
was quite a talker and we went on for about 20 or 30 minutes. I saw
some wood stacked up and mentioned I have a lathe. She offered a
couple of pieces of hard maple. One was a crotch piece with one leg
maybe 10" and the other about 14" in dia. She then mentioned that if I
wanted to come back when it dries up, she has more she would be
willing to get rid of. "Oh, what kind," I asked. "Walnut and
cherry," she said. I was only partially successful at restraining my
glee. Since I've been turning it has been a couple kinds of maple,
some red oak, and white mulberry to keep me busy. I said I would be
glad to come back after the 4th holiday. As we were leaving, she
waved and said "Go ahead and get those two pieces at the end of the
drive if you want. They're black walnut."
The wood was cut in February. They were in the round about 14 to 16
inches and 8" to 10" thick. I wacked up one as soon as I got home and
turned a bowl and platter.
Come mid-July I'm heading back over with my chainsaw and a couple of
bowls for her.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Kevin

Good gloat ;-))) BUT, what are you waiting for ??? that wood will just
get more split drying in log form, get it home as soon as you can and
seal the ends.

Rough turn as soon as possible, then let it dry carefully, a brown
paper bag is one of the best places for a new turned bowl.

Keep up the good work

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jun 25, 1:14 pm, Kevin wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Kevin,

Nice wood score! Here is a couple of links to articles I have written on
working with and drying green wood that may help you. Take care and all the
best to you and yours!

Here is an article on using paper bags to dry green wood roughouts:
http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...ag-drying.html

Here is an article on air drying green wood:
http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/air-drying.html

Here is an article on using wax emulsions to prevent checking in green wood:
http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/wax-emulsion.html

Here is an article on finding FREE wood to turn:
http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/free-wood.html

Enjoy!
--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com
Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

On 6/25/07 12:14 PM, in article
, "Kevin"
wrote:

[...]

scored vcr head sawney beane Electronics Repair 5 June 10th 06 02:48 PM
O/T: 'New' flats evacuated due to fault in design sPoNiX UK diy 3 January 4th 06 03:55 PM
Questions about stained and scored concrete MaryL Home Repair 6 February 15th 05 04:03 AM
Scored! A bowl! AHilton Woodturning 2 June 29th 04 12:57 AM
Kitchen floors suggestions ?(cork, vinal, wood, laminate wood) c_kubie Home Repair 14 December 6th 03 08:37 PM