Posted to uk.d-i-y
sPoNiX

Default O/T: 'New' flats evacuated due to fault in design

Why it pays to use traditional methods of construction:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/4579644.stm

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian

Default 'New' flats evacuated due to fault in design

"sPoNiX" wrote in message
Why it pays to use traditional methods of construction:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/4579644.stm

sponix

If they had designed and built it properly in the first place using experts
and not cutting corners - they would have spent less thn wht will be the
total cost of building and repair.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
sPoNiX

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 11:43:37 GMT, "Brian" wrote:

"sPoNiX" wrote in message
Why it pays to use traditional methods of construction:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/4579644.stm

sponix

If they had designed and built it properly in the first place using experts
and not cutting corners - they would have spent less thn wht will be the
total cost of building and repair.

Yup!

Problem with a lot of "new technologies" is that the design flaws only
become apparent after a few years.

This whole thing reminds me if the 1960s tower blocks that'd crack up
after a few years.

sponix
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Schmitt

On Wed, 04 Jan 2006 14:04:21 -0000, sPoNiX wrote:

Problem with a lot of "new technologies" is that the design flaws only
become apparent after a few years.

Rather like the Asinelli and Garisenda towers in Bologna. That was quite a
few years back. Worth visiting as it is only 3 euros to climb up a creaky
vertiginous staircase for a good look at the place. They are also alluded
to in The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri. Pisa was another lesson in
building onto alluvial soils.

This whole thing reminds me if the 1960s tower blocks that'd crack up
after a few years.

Inversion of High Alumina Cement panels autoclaved to save time in
manufacture. I did have a picture of a panel caught in mid-flight narrowly
missing a policeman. Guesstimating, the panel was 2"x3'x6'. I believe it
came from about the tenth floor. The usual principle applies, cutting
corners is the easy way to expensive.

John Schmitt