Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default wide belt sander

BlankI need a wide belt sander, very inexpensive. I just got started with segmented turning and need to smooth each row of segments before gluing. My 3" belt sander just doesn't cut it. Any used, old machines out there? any suggestions?

I am located in Houston, Texas.

"All that it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing."

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

winta wrote:
I need a wide belt sander, very inexpensive. I just got started with
segmented turning and need to smooth each row of segments before
gluing. My 3" belt sander just doesn't cut it. Any used, old machines
out there? any suggestions?

I am located in Houston, Texas.

"All that it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing."

Do you have a drill press? I use a safety planer to true the top of
each new ring after the glue sets. Quick, cheap, easy ... keep an eye
on where your fingers are.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

BillB wrote:
winta wrote:
I need a wide belt sander, very inexpensive. I just got started with
segmented turning and need to smooth each row of segments before
gluing. My 3" belt sander just doesn't cut it. Any used, old
machines out there? any suggestions?

I am located in Houston, Texas.

"All that it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do
nothing."

Do you have a drill press? I use a safety planer to true the top of
each new ring after the glue sets. Quick, cheap, easy ... keep an eye
on where your fingers are.

Bill

In case you are not familiar with these beasties:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3189

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks Bill,
I was thinking of using my drill press with a sanding drum and a fence. Do
you think this will work when the pieces are angled?
Al

"BillB" wrote in message
. ..
BillB wrote:
winta wrote:
I need a wide belt sander, very inexpensive. I just got started with
segmented turning and need to smooth each row of segments before gluing.
My 3" belt sander just doesn't cut it. Any used, old machines out
there? any suggestions?
I am located in Houston, Texas.
"All that it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do
nothing."

Do you have a drill press? I use a safety planer to true the top of each
new ring after the glue sets. Quick, cheap, easy ... keep an eye on
where your fingers are.

Bill

In case you are not familiar with these beasties:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3189

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

You could make a lathe-powered drum sander very inexpensively. I know a couple
people that have done this and say it works great, not as good as a Performax
but good enough. Here is a link to Bill Smith's website where you would click
on his "Drum Sander Article": http://www.smithart.us/download.htm

Kevin

In article , winta says...

------=_NextPart_000_00A0_01C7B3FB.3BE31710

------=_NextPart_001_00A1_01C7B3FB.3BE31710

BlankI need a wide belt sander, very inexpensive. I just got started =
with segmented turning and need to smooth each row of segments before =
gluing. My 3" belt sander just doesn't cut it. Any used, old machines =
out there? any suggestions?

I am located in Houston, Texas.

"All that it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do =
nothing."

------=_NextPart_001_00A1_01C7B3FB.3BE31710

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEADTITLE id=3DridTitleBlank/TITLE
META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
charset=3Dwindows-1252"BASE=20
href=3D"file://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft =
Shared\Stationery\"
STYLEBODY {
MARGIN-TOP: 25px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 25px; COLOR: #000000; =
FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica
}
P.msoNormal {
MARGIN-TOP: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; COLOR: #ffffcc; =
FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman"
}
LI.msoNormal {
MARGIN-TOP: 0px; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; MARGIN-LEFT: 0px; COLOR: #ffffcc; =
FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica, "Times New Roman"
}
/STYLE

META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16481" name=3DGENERATOR/HEAD
BODY id=3DridBody bgColor=3D#ffffff=20
background=3Dcid:009b01c7b425$24b6ae10$7002a8c0@y ourw04gtxld67
DIVI need a wide belt sander, very inexpensive.  I just got =
started with=20
segmented turning and need to smooth each row of segments before=20
gluing.  My 3" belt sander just doesn't cut it.  Any used, old =

machines out there?  any suggestions?/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVI am located in Houston, Texas./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIV"All that it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do=20
nothing."/DIV
P /P/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_001_00A1_01C7B3FB.3BE31710--

------=_NextPart_000_00A0_01C7B3FB.3BE31710

R0lGODlhLQAtAID/AP////f39ywAAAAALQAtAEACcAxup8vtvxKQsFon6d02898pGkgiYoCm 6sq2
7iqWcmzOsmeXeA7uPJd5CYdD2g9oPF58ygqz+XhCG9JpJGmlY rPXGlfr/Yo/VW45e7amp2tou/lW
xo/zX513z+Vt+1n/tiX2pxP4NUhy2FM4xtjIUQAAOw==

------=_NextPart_000_00A0_01C7B3FB.3BE31710--

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jun 23, 5:45 pm, "winta" wrote:
Thanks Bill,
I was thinking of using my drill press with a sanding drum and a fence. Do
you think this will work when the pieces are angled?
Al

Try www.stockroomsupply.com
They sell all the parts for shopmade sanders. Very reasonable and good
service.
Usual disclaimer. Just a happy customer
Pete
Visit my site at: http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/Galoots/pHyde/
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:45:33 -0500, "winta"
wrote:

Thanks Bill,
I was thinking of using my drill press with a sanding drum and a fence. Do
you think this will work when the pieces are angled?
Al

One thing to watch out for with the old drill-press drum sander-
they'll tend to clog up really quickly if you don't get one with a
large diameter or figure out a way to make it oscillate.

I've got a few, thinking they'd be perfect for all sorts of things,
but they were really a disappointment in action. On the bright side,
it's a very inexpensive experiment to try out!