Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Tips on finishing sycamore and oak

I have come into possesion of a couple of sycamore logs and have
started roughing out some bowls. I have never used sycamore before,
and it will be a while before the bowls are dry enough to turn to
final shape and finish, but I thought I would check to see what folks
have used successfully to finish sycamore.

I don't want a really glossy finish like lacquer. I have a Beall
buffing system. I used Deft on an oak bowl and then polished it, but
the end grain is much darker than the side grain. Should I have used
some sort of a sealer before applying the Deft?

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee

Oak finishing paul UK diy 8 January 17th 07 02:31 PM
Finishing Red Oak Stacy Woodworking 9 December 9th 05 09:30 PM
Finishing Oak Baseboards Christopher Riley Home Repair 6 October 12th 05 11:40 PM
Oak Finishing: Need Advice Brian Siano Woodworking 9 August 1st 05 08:36 PM
Finishing oak table P.R.Brady UK diy 3 August 19th 04 08:07 PM