Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Tips on finishing sycamore and oak

On May 14, 11:56 am, Olebiker wrote:
I have come into possesion of a couple of sycamore logs and have started roughing out some bowls. I have never used sycamore before, and it will be a while before the bowls are dry enough to turn to final shape and finish, but I thought I would check to see what folks have used successfully to finish sycamore.

My experience with whateve species of sycamore we have around here is
great. Not only easy to turn, but it give a grain that is like
lacewood, or some other more exotic species. Some of the stuff I turn
has some tearout problems, but some doesn't.

Since I like the grain and light color, I tend not to put on oil as
that (to me!) makes it look muddy.

I don't want a really glossy finish like lacquer. I have a Beall buffing system. I used Deft on an oak bowl and then polished it, but the end grain is much darker than the side grain. Should I have used some sort of a sealer before applying the Deft?

I wouldn't worry about end grain vs. flat grain with oak. The dark
color on end grain will always be there to some extent.

To even out the absorbtion of the sealer and to help prevent blotchy
spots (uneven coloration) in the finish, seal the piece with Zinnser
sanding sealer. Not shellac, but sealer. This actually is shellac,
but it is dewaxed and has no color. This will readily absorb into the
wood (as thin as it is, for smooth pieces I still cut th sealer by
about 1/3 with alcohol) and can be sanded very quickly.

Just about all finishes stick to it. I like to use gloss finish on
small stuff as the semi gloss or satins have solids in them to diffuse
the light that also diffuse the grain. Apply your finish as you
normally would, same number of coats, etc. After it dries, then buff
it down with good quality 0000 steel wool with a little Johnson's
paste wax on it. Let that dry hard. Usually on sealed wood with
green sealer on it this takes a day or so. Then buff out as desired
with a soft cloth, not on the buffer.

It gives a great furniture style finish that lights up those little
tan flecks in the wood.

There is a fair amount of sycamore in my area, but it isn't really all
that common. When it is available, I try to get all I can as it is
great to turn.

Robert