Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Powermatic 3520B Unloaded from Truck

Not a gloat but I am darn glad we got the new 3520B unloaded from the truck
this afternoon. My son and I had to open the crate and unload it a piece at
a time but we got it done. That beast is heavy!!. It will be a couple of
weeks before it is together but I can hardly wait.

Marv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Marv, congratulations!

Be sure to get the remote switch assembly. And if you place it with the
motor end perpendicular to a wall remember to leave room for the knockout
bar. Obviously I forgot that when I first set mine up (designed the shop
spacing).

And I realized as I wired the pigtail with a plug that my 30a 240v circuit
had been way overkill. That 30a was what I'm used to seeing with a 2hp
motor.

Also my tailstock was "frozen" up. Powermatic tech said to just crank it
anyway and, yes, it did finally move. Scared me though as it seemed like way
too much pressure.

Lastly I found that no matter how much bulk there seems to be you can have
the thing sitting cockeyed. That's to say you need to level it on both axis
or it'll have a twist to the ways.

Happy turning
TomNie

"Marv" wrote in message
Not a gloat but I am darn glad we got the new 3520B unloaded from the
truck this afternoon. My son and I had to open the crate and unload it a
piece at a time but we got it done. That beast is heavy!!. It will be a
couple of weeks before it is together but I can hardly wait.

Marv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 25, 6:42 pm, "Marv" wrote:
Not a gloat but I am darn glad we got the new 3520B unloaded from the truck
this afternoon. My son and I had to open the crate and unload it a piece at
a time but we got it done. That beast is heavy!!. It will be a couple of
weeks before it is together but I can hardly wait.

Marv

I've got one of these beasties too. It certainly has a lot more
torque then my Jet lathe has. Remember to leave room at the other end
of the lathe as well for working around big bowls or or other things
that need practical room to work.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

if you place it with the motor end perpendicular to a wall remember to
leave room for the knockout bar.

I like my lathe perpendicular to the wall, but closer than the knockout
bar will allow, so I made a 2 piece knockout bar by cutting it in half.
Put the plain piece of metal in first, then tap it with the handled end.
Then I got smart and began screwing on a 1 1/4 x 8 nut before inserting
the drive center. Unscrewing the nut (you need the wrench for the last
1/8 turn) pops the drive center out. I put a washer on the drive center
to give it better support against the nut. This works really well, a lot
easier than it sounds. -mike

Powermatic 3520b compared to Vega 2600-Inv [email protected] Woodturning 8 December 9th 06 06:32 AM
PM 3520b Maxprop Woodturning 2 November 16th 06 04:18 AM
Powermatic 3520a/3520b Steven trauthwein Woodturning 5 July 28th 06 05:50 PM
Truck for sale... '99 Isuzu FTR - (It's Metal related because it's a MANLY TRUCK, and we're manly men here!!!!) RainLover Metalworking 0 October 14th 05 07:40 PM
just unloaded my first lathe for my garage williamhenry Metalworking 2 August 28th 05 10:22 PM