Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Powermatic 3520b compared to Vega 2600-Inv

I am considering buying either the Powermatic 3520B or the Vega
2600-Inv. and am looking for comment and or advise.

I have been turning for about 4 years on a Nova3000 with AC motor. I
live in Arizona so don't have the ability to find, large pieces of
wood to turn. I almost always turn purchased blocks of wood that I cut
round on my bandsaw, or segemented turnings. I love my Nova300 but the
shortcomings for me are not having variable speed and having only 16in.
swing over the bed.

The one feature that I hate to give up is the ability to swivel the
head. I always turn the headstock 22 1/2 degrees to turn the inside of
my bowls. I rarely do spindle work and if I do it is short in length,
rarely more than 12 to 13 in. long. I have never felt a need for more
that the 1 hp. motor on my Nova.

I am considering the Powermatic 3520b because of the ability to move
the headstock to the end of the lathe and then stand in front of the
work while turning the inside of bowls. I am sure that I would rarely
move the headstock from this position. Of course the Vega 2600 also
would allow me to stand in front of the work.

The drawback with the Vega would be not being able to turn spindle work
shorter than 6in. I sometimes turn handles for the decorative
rollingpins that I turn.

Any and all advise from Powermatic and Vega owners would be
appreciated.

Bob Cook

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cm cm is offline

Bob

I have talked to other Vega owners who said they would not buy again. I have
also seen a couple of Vegas up close and would not consider one.

cm

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:
[...]

If the dimentions of the Nova 3000 are to you liking, but the problem
is in the ammount and contolability of the power, you might consider
repowering your lathe. Craft supply in Provo has a 1hp DC motor with a
vairiable speed controller available for right around $650. (p/n
186-0105) I have no idea what either the Powermatic or the Vega you are
looking at cost, but this is probobly cheaper.
They also have a 1 1/2 horse 220v setup for around $750.00 (p/n
186-1120) if you need more power.
I have the Nova 300 with the 1 1/2hp motor/controller combo referenced
above, and LOVE it. I rarely have to change the belt positions, I just
turn the dial on the controller, and plenty of power. I would think
that it would be a fairly straightforward operation to remove the motor
from your lathe, and replace it with the DC one. Then you hang the
controller off of your lathe stand or somewhere else convienient (mine
is attached to the front of the first shelf above the lathe, right at
shoulder height) and off you go. I did not have 220v available when I
moved into my current house, so with a few minor adjustments (as
directed to do in the manual) to the controller I was able to runthe
lathe on 110v. It has worked so well that I keep putting off the
wiring project to bring 220v to the lathe. I have not missed it.

Just something to think about.

Roman

PS I have no connection to Craft Supply other than being a very
satisfied customer.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Bob,

More musing than responding, but I suspect you might have a delayed case
of the 'two year itch' which many of us have suffered. Some recovered,
some didn't. I mean the itch to buy something new. A trophy lathe to
replace your ole tried, true and comfortable machine instead of
upgrading it. This happens in other situations, but it often takes seven
years.

Just my opinion, but excepting the advent of excellent mini lathes, I
think for the _average hobby turner_ the five most significant
improvements in lathes since the 'turning enlightenment and reformation'
have been revolving tail centers and ball or roller bearings, levered
lock-downs, swivelling headstocks, electronic variable speed and
_reasonable_ increases in swing. Not seldom used grotesque swing, not
unnecessarily high power and weight, Not even as a statement of success.
In many home-hobby woodshops pictured on the net, the lathe's cost,
weight, power and swing seem unnecessarily high for what it's mostly
used for and relative to the other power tools that enable it.

I am not denigrating the higher end machines, They certainly have their
place and purpose for the professional or the terminally addicted hobby
turner. Of course I would love to own one, but mainly for the personal
satisfaction of owning it, which although important is only one cure for
the 'two year itch'. I just need to make sure that the cure isn't worse
than the disease. YMMV.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Check dealerselectric.com . I have just purchased a 2 hp motor and controller
for $465.00 (net with shipping) for my Nova 3K. It was just ordered so I can't
really give much more information. If you contact them use the 800 number
rather than asking questions through e-mail.

Stuart Johnson

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Bob

I have a Vega 2600, and with the MT extender in the tailstock, you can get
the centers point to point, so there is no 6" limit on spindles. You can do
anything from zero (theoretical of course!) to 17" on the Vega. You might
find the top end of 2400 rpm a little slow if you want to do a pen or
something, but I do them on my mini lathe anway. If you have any specific
questions about the Vega, feel free to write me directly.

Bill Grumbine
www.wonderfulwood.com

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article . com,
" wrote:

I am considering buying either the Powermatic 3520B or the Vega
2600-Inv. and am looking for comment and or advise.
..

If your only fault with the Nova was the motor, you can upgrade the
motor to the XP-DVR motor via Teknatools. Certainly for less money then
a new lathe

I only know one turner with the Vega 2600 (Bill Grumbine
http://www.wonderfulwood.com/ ) and he loves it and reccomends it, IF
YOU ARE TURNING BOWLS (see your spindle comment).

Of course the PM is loved by every owner I know.

One last suggestion, if you are thinking about big lathes, look at the
Robust http://www.turnrobust.com/Robust/Lathes.htm

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:
Hi Bob,

snip...
In many home-hobby woodshops pictured on the net, the lathe's cost,
weight, power and swing seem unnecessarily high for what it's mostly(!!!!)
used for and relative to the other power tools that enable it.

....snip

I'm glad you said 'mostly' -- because when that really large log finds
its way onto the bed of my truck, I like having a way to deal with it,
even if it is not an everyday occurrence.

Also, I find that the delicate finials and lace bobbins I turn on my
large lathe turn out better and are easier to do than if they were done
on a mini lathe. And, when I go for a suction fit box lid, even for a
small box, the large lathe gives me a leg up on getting the fit right.

Bill
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Bill, No argument here. For a competant turner with a truck, a good
chainsaw, a big bandsaw, a substantial drill press, a heavy chuck or
faceplate, and either a lift or a muscular friend and occasionally
hankers to turn a really large log into a huge bowl, there's no doubt
that a big lathe is the best way to go.

"Mostly" kidding, Bill. I'm sure Stubby, for example, is a quality all
around machine that would be an asset to any turning shop whether for
producing large, small or in between turnings. I'm less sure that all
things considered, it would be that much 'better' than a quality small
lathe for turning small stuff. Most every turner would love to own a
Stubby class lathe, but not every turner needs one. Again, just my
opinion and I'm not at all sure it's correct.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

PM 3520b Maxprop Woodturning 2 November 16th 06 05:18 AM
Powermatic 3520a/3520b Steven trauthwein Woodturning 5 July 28th 06 06:50 PM
Vega 2600 Bowl Lathe FS [email protected] Woodturning 1 July 28th 06 12:44 AM
OT - Work and Prison Compared J T Woodworking 2 December 4th 05 03:32 PM
Staron compared to Corian u4ick Home Repair 0 March 19th 05 05:21 PM