Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turning a Swivel Joint - Genesis & How To

In the thread "Where Do Ideas Come From - Creativity or Synthesisity" I
used an accidental synthesis "discovery"
- a turned ball and socket swivel joint - and a simple use
for it - an articulated chain of beads. That process
was difficult to describe with just text, even with some
ASCII illustrations. So I played with a primitive CAD program
and illustrated the procedure I used to make the trickier
parts of the swivel joint - mainly for my own future
reference (I jump around a lot and might not get back
to this idea for months or even a year). Not much effort
to put tht stuff up on the web and maybe get someone
else to play with the idea. So here's what's up for your
perusal.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...tedChain2.html

Now I'm noodling around thinking of variations and uses.
If I come up with anything interesting I'll post a link.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T.../ArticulatedCh...

Now I'm noodling around thinking of variations and uses.
If I come up with anything interesting I'll post a link.

charlie b

Very interesting Charlie. I'm printing it out to give it a try. By the
way, your link would not take me to the page. I ended up going to
http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...iculation1.htm
to view the files.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mike R. Courteau wrote:

Very interesting Charlie. I'm printing it out to give it a try. By the
way, your link would not take me to the page. I ended up going to
http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...iculation1.htm
to view the files.

Apologies. Should have waited to post the url. Added more pages
of ideas and renamed the pages Articulation instead of the original
ArticulatedChain. So now I'm going with an index page with links
to the rest of the pages.

Here's the index page for the articulated joints stuff.
http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...culation0.html
Any new additions can be gotten to from there.

I've since found another way to cut the concave part of the socket
halves, using a 3/8" diameter router bit for routing signs. Put it
in a drill chuck mounted in the tail stock and bore a round bottomed
hole. Quick and easy - if you've got the bit with a 1/4" shank.

Am doing the illustrations for the process of using it to make the
two halves of the socket for the ball and socket joint. Will post
the url here when it's done and up.

I guess letting the unconscious part of the brain play with
something
works because, when I woke up this morning I had another idea for
using the articulated joint idea.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...culation5.html

Let us know what YOU come up with. And if you have questions
I might be able to answer feel free to ask away - either here or
by private e-mail (I use my real e-mail address).

Fun this turning thing yes?

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

charlieb wrote:

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...tedChain2.html

Now I'm noodling around thinking of variations and uses.
If I come up with anything interesting I'll post a link.

charlie b

Idea A
Suspend the blue ball from piano wire (attached to a clock mechanism?)
to act as a pendulum. As the earth rotates, precession will cause it to
strike different clappers by turn.

Idea B
Cause the clappers to either change a musical note (potentiometer?) or
modify a light show of sorts. (Are there any pots that can read the
position of a magnet?)

Idea B would yield a light show that was dependent on both the time and
nearby activity.

You're welcome,

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000728-0, 03/26/2007
Tested on: 3/26/2007 3:24:23 AM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bill in Detroit - you took the ideas for a ball joint
into electronics with idea B - something even Arch
didn't mention in his musing about interdisciplines/
muiltimedia posting.

Interesting idea. Could add a three legged dowel
pyramid to the top of the rim of the bowl, a ball
and socket half bead at the top - blue ball
suspended from it on piano wire if the piano wire
were thick enough. If the wire were thin enough
the ball and socket wouldn't be required at the
top of the pyramid.

Could also skip the ball and socket joints for the
"rocking" beads around the inside and outside of
the bowl if they were held on with fine piano wire.
Interesting.

Was showing a friend the idea of the bowl, ball
and swivel joint. He'd recently seen a show about
Chinese technology that was 3-4000 year old.
They used a similar idea for a seismograph. An
earthquake would cause an articulated joined arm
of a bowl to move and hit a ball inside. The ball
would then fall into a hole in the bowl and then into
a tube which would take it to a depression no the
back of one of many bronze or brass frogs around
and beneath the bowl. The device would give not
only the direction to the epicenter but, depending
on how far the ball had been moved, an indictation
of the magnitude.

"There's nothing new under the sun." may be true,
But there may be new uses for an idea that's
been around for several milleniums.

More please.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:24:55 -0800, charlieb
wrote:

[...]

Neat stuff, Charlie- keep it up!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Prometheus wrote:

Neat stuff, Charlie- keep it up!

OK - another way to make the two hollow hemispherical
parts for the socket of the ball and socket joint.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/T...ulation2A.html

Have made two or three of the various sockets to play
with and may get to making a lidded box to try some of
the ideas. I'm interested in doing one using the SuperEgg
shape (tilts and wobbles but won't fall over) and the
counter weighted finial idea. Will put up pics on my site
when it's done.

This ball and socket swivel joint is interesting and fun to
play with. If you haven't tried it yet - consider having a
go at it. Not hard to make and has lots of possibilities.

Fun this turning thing yes?

charlie b

Antique Mortise & Tenon Joint Question Bill Waller Woodworking 34 January 12th 07 08:20 PM
Removing (and replacing) tilt and swivel window Clive UK diy 4 November 28th 06 01:21 PM
Turning & carving tdup2 Woodturning 1 June 21st 06 12:08 AM
How do you troubleshoot a M&T joint? nireedmot Woodworking 13 October 20th 05 09:05 PM
Removing Nokia monitor swivel stand? HH Electronics Repair 0 August 21st 05 12:14 PM