Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Resharpening Bandsaw Blades and Band Tension - Informal Poll

Hello to the group,

Many of you are familiar with my bandsaw re-sharpening protocol:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...aw-blades.html

Over the years, I have saved several thousand dollars by using this protocol
in my studio and have averaged around 8-10 re-sharpenings per band on my
steel bands. Some turners who contacted me have stated they are getting the
same amount of re-sharpenings per band as me (8-10) and others are only
averaging (4-5) per band.

While trying to determine why there was a disparity, I began wondering about
the band tension and whether leaving the band tensioned on the bandsaw was
one of the reasons some turners were seeing a lower number of
re-sharpenings.

Several turners who were averaging 4-5 re-sharpenings per band indicated
that the reason they stopped re-sharpening the band was due to the presence
of stress cracks. Of course, if these are EVER present in the band, it
should not be re-sharpened, per the protocol - it should be thrown out for
safety reasons, regardless of the length of time it has been used.

However, I never leave the band tensioned on my bandsaw... At the end of the
day, or when I know I will no longer be using the bandsaw, I de-tension the
band. I've always done this since I've owned the bandsaw, about 8 years.
When I stop re-sharpening my band, it is because the tooth is getting small,
not because of stress cracks. In fact, I have only ever had two bands in 8
years ever develop a stress crack. I'm lucky I guess...

Leaving the band in constant tension over time can produce stress cracks
according to the band manufacturers, not to mention be hard on the spring,
tire crown, etc. So my question is to ask your help to take an informal
poll:

If you are re-sharpening your bands using my protocol:

1.) How many re-sharpenings are you averaging per band?

2.) Do you de-tension the band every day, or leave it under constant
tension?

Of course, other factors can be at work here that determine the maximum
number of times the band can be re-sharpened (abrasive wheel used, heavy
handed, or light touch, etc.), but it would be interesting to find out if
this seems to have any effect or not... Thanks in advance for your help and
all the best to you and yours!

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com

Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

My Blog: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...deos-blog.html

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello again Steven.

Apropos your poll:

I do not resharpen any of my bandsaw blades, difficult to find the
time!

I ALWAYS remove the tension from both the belt and the blade on my
bandsaw.

Regards, Peter.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have not resharpened any blades at this time but I always detension
my saws after I'm done cutting for the day. Thank you for the link to
your sharpening protocol.
Marc

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Steve Russell" wrote in message
Hello to the group,

Many of you are familiar with my bandsaw re-sharpening protocol:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...aw-blades.html

snip

If you are re-sharpening your bands using my protocol:

1.) How many re-sharpenings are you averaging per band?

2.) Do you de-tension the band every day, or leave it under constant
tension?

My time is at a premium and generally more valuable than the cost of a
bandsaw blade, thus I do not sharpen them. But I believe it is safe to say
that I use my bandsaw far less than a production turner such as you, so my
blades don't wear out nearly as rapidly.

I have never de-tensioned my blades, but I will undoubtedly begin doing so
today. Years ago I spoke with a venerable boat builder who used a monstrous
bandsaw extensively for cutting mahogany and teak. He told me that
de-tensioning a bandsaw blade will cause it to "age" prematurely. I had my
doubts, but who was I to question a person of his extensive experience and
knowledge? While I haven't experienced early 'aging' with my blades,
de-tensioning makes sense and will become a standard protocol in my shop
now.

Thanks for your ongoing advice, Steve. Contributions such as yours make
life easier for hacks like me.

Max

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 24, 5:25 am, "Maxprop" wrote:
[...]

I haven't made a habit of detensioning my blades. I always thought
that the biggest problem here was getting flat spots on your wheels.
As far as reshapening goes, I have it done for me. A 150 inch Lennow
bi metal 1 1/4 with teeth 3/4 inch apart, costs about $9 to get
sharpened. As far as blade breakage, it seems to be related more to
having the blade guide properly positioned, and the blade guide clost
to your work. I have had the blade guides loosen up, mostly the thrust
one, and that combined with not lowering the guide did cost me at
least one blade.
robo hippy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Steve Russell wrote:
Hello to the group,

Many of you are familiar with my bandsaw re-sharpening protocol:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...aw-blades.html

Over the years, I have saved several thousand dollars by using this protocol
in my studio and have averaged around 8-10 re-sharpenings per band on my
steel bands. Some turners who contacted me have stated they are getting the
same amount of re-sharpenings per band as me (8-10) and others are only
averaging (4-5) per band.

I sharpen mine only on the inside of the hook. It seems that
sharpening from the top only makes the point sharper and
using a correct diameter diamond hone on the inside also
sharpens the point as well as the shoulders and these are
the two places where cutting takes place. It seems similar
to the way I sharpen a chainsaw, only from the inside. I
have never counted the number of sharpenings on a blade. If
I'm in the mood I sharpen, if not I change blades.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Sex is like a bridge game: If you
don't have a good partner, you'd
better have a good hand.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello to the group,

Thanks for the emails and replies to my informal poll... :-) It appears that
most of us re-sharpen our bandsaw blades and a significant percentage
de-tension the bandsaw every day. Although the sampling was small in number,
it was nonetheless illuminating. Thanks and best wishes to all of you in all
of your woodturning endeavours!
--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com

Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

My Blog: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...deos-blog.html