Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Steve Russell Steve Russell is offline

Default Resharpening Bandsaw Blades and Band Tension - Informal Poll

Hello to the group,

Many of you are familiar with my bandsaw re-sharpening protocol:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...aw-blades.html

Over the years, I have saved several thousand dollars by using this protocol
in my studio and have averaged around 8-10 re-sharpenings per band on my
steel bands. Some turners who contacted me have stated they are getting the
same amount of re-sharpenings per band as me (8-10) and others are only
averaging (4-5) per band.

While trying to determine why there was a disparity, I began wondering about
the band tension and whether leaving the band tensioned on the bandsaw was
one of the reasons some turners were seeing a lower number of
re-sharpenings.

Several turners who were averaging 4-5 re-sharpenings per band indicated
that the reason they stopped re-sharpening the band was due to the presence
of stress cracks. Of course, if these are EVER present in the band, it
should not be re-sharpened, per the protocol - it should be thrown out for
safety reasons, regardless of the length of time it has been used.

However, I never leave the band tensioned on my bandsaw... At the end of the
day, or when I know I will no longer be using the bandsaw, I de-tension the
band. I've always done this since I've owned the bandsaw, about 8 years.
When I stop re-sharpening my band, it is because the tooth is getting small,
not because of stress cracks. In fact, I have only ever had two bands in 8
years ever develop a stress crack. I'm lucky I guess...

Leaving the band in constant tension over time can produce stress cracks
according to the band manufacturers, not to mention be hard on the spring,
tire crown, etc. So my question is to ask your help to take an informal
poll:

If you are re-sharpening your bands using my protocol:

1.) How many re-sharpenings are you averaging per band?

2.) Do you de-tension the band every day, or leave it under constant
tension?

Of course, other factors can be at work here that determine the maximum
number of times the band can be re-sharpened (abrasive wheel used, heavy
handed, or light touch, etc.), but it would be interesting to find out if
this seems to have any effect or not... Thanks in advance for your help and
all the best to you and yours!

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio, The Woodlands, Texas
Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

Website: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com

Free Monthly Woodturning Newsletter * Your email is kept confidential
Sign up at: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/lathe-talk.html

My Blog: http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...deos-blog.html