Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Resharpening Bandsaw Blades and Band Tension - Informal Poll

On Feb 24, 5:25 am, "Maxprop" wrote:
"Steve Russell" wrote in message

Hello to the group,

Many of you are familiar with my bandsaw re-sharpening protocol:

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com...aw-blades.html

snip

If you are re-sharpening your bands using my protocol:

1.) How many re-sharpenings are you averaging per band?

2.) Do you de-tension the band every day, or leave it under constant
tension?

My time is at a premium and generally more valuable than the cost of a
bandsaw blade, thus I do not sharpen them. But I believe it is safe to say
that I use my bandsaw far less than a production turner such as you, so my
blades don't wear out nearly as rapidly.

I have never de-tensioned my blades, but I will undoubtedly begin doing so
today. Years ago I spoke with a venerable boat builder who used a monstrous
bandsaw extensively for cutting mahogany and teak. He told me that
de-tensioning a bandsaw blade will cause it to "age" prematurely. I had my
doubts, but who was I to question a person of his extensive experience and
knowledge? While I haven't experienced early 'aging' with my blades,
de-tensioning makes sense and will become a standard protocol in my shop
now.

Thanks for your ongoing advice, Steve. Contributions such as yours make
life easier for hacks like me.

Max

I haven't made a habit of detensioning my blades. I always thought
that the biggest problem here was getting flat spots on your wheels.
As far as reshapening goes, I have it done for me. A 150 inch Lennow
bi metal 1 1/4 with teeth 3/4 inch apart, costs about $9 to get
sharpened. As far as blade breakage, it seems to be related more to
having the blade guide properly positioned, and the blade guide clost
to your work. I have had the blade guides loosen up, mostly the thrust
one, and that combined with not lowering the guide did cost me at
least one blade.
robo hippy