Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default My nomination for the most useless discussions of 2006

I just can't watch any more football today, so I'll share my monotony
and boredom with you all. I'll even add to it. The nature of turned
wood art and in particular its relation to the craft of turning wood
used up a lot of rcw bandwidth during '06 and we ended up at '07 where
we started in '06. We asked ad nauseum and never got an answer to such
useless questions as:

1. What is art? Particularly turned wood art.

2. Re turned wood, what is aesthetic experience? or something like
that.

3. Can the beauty inherent in a turning be truly objective or is it just
in the eye of a beholder?

4. Can turned wood art be seen and understood as something separate
from the craft of woodturning? Who determines that? How do they do it?

5. Can a woodturner be a good artist without mastering the craft?

6. Can turned wood art have meaning? Does it depend on the turner's
intentions? If not what does it depend on?

7. Does a work of turned wood art need to resemble what it is about or
is it better that it doesn't look like it or anything else?

8, What does all this stuff about
representation, impression, expression. imagination, inspiration and
satisfaction have to do with turning a piece of bird's eye maple on a
Nova 3000?

9. As a distinct group, do we woodturning craftsman/artists need to
become known as a 'movement' (no bathroom humor please) or an academy
like the 'Hudson River School' or the S.E. Fla. artists known as the
'Highwaymen', (They weren't criminals, they sold their folk art in
stands along US I in Ft. Pierce and now their work is much sought
after).

10 Blah! Blah! Blah! Can you think of any threads more useless that
these? Maybe I'll just watch a little of the first half of the next
game before I fall asleep. The fireworks will wake me up at midnight.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Good observation Arch. Of course that will not stop us bringing it up again.
Fun is fun after all. Happy New Year my friend.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:
[...]

Gee Arch its good to see you haven't lost your touch. I was beginning
to wonder if you had given up on the musings.
As usual very provocative and amusing
Hoping for many more in 2007
Happy New Year you old curmudgeon! And to everyone else!
Big 65 for me this year so I will get the time to seriously contemplate
all these questions:-)
Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

(Arch) wrote:

[...]

Arch, I think You started more than a few of these! )