Member

Location: Halesworth, Suffolk.uk
Smile Thankyou for your help this year

Hi all
I just thought a thankyou to everyone who has helped me with there expert advice and also the odd witty comment through out this year, as i have now had my lathe for about 14 months and i'm finally getting to the point when i'm proud to start giving my turnings to freinds and family. I did have one days tution in the early part of the year, but with out your advice and postings i doubt i would be still cutting in the dark or have brought the wrong piece of equipment.
I still think you should have warned me, no make that told me, that i would me a lot poorer by the end of the year and even now there still a large amout of gear, gadgets and tools i shall have to buy to keep with this addiction. I think all lathe manufactures should be forced to put a large warning sign on the box and there webs sites, warning of this :-)

Marry xmas and new year

Mark (woodborg)
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Thankyou for your help this year

Woodborg wrote:

snip

I still think you should have warned me, no make that told me, that i
would me a lot poorer by the end of the year and even now there still a
large amout of gear, gadgets and tools i shall have to buy to keep with
this addiction. I think all lathe manufactures should be forced to put
a large warning sign on the box and there webs sites, warning of this
:-)

Mark (woodborg)

This your first forray into woodworking? Other than just pen turning
or scroll sawing, most other types of woodworking have much higher
price tags. Ok, maybe not chip carving, but the point is true. If
you
were to have started via Norm (New Yankee Workshop), you'd start
with a table saw, joiner/jointer, planer and probably a miter saw,
compound miter saw or sliding compound miter saw. A drill press,
router table and bandsaw go on the "have to have" list and appear
in the garage - er - shop. Oh - a dust collector - with ducting,
hoses
and blast gates go no the "I need" list as well. Then there's the
hand
tools that come in handy to adjust things, do dovetails etc.. Did I
mention electrician costs - you'll need a few (3 or 4) 220/240 V
outlets, with corresponding breakers, and lights - you need lots of
light. BTW - you'll need a LOT more wood - along with a place to
store it 'til you need it.

The slippery slope you find yourself on may just be the the first
5 yards of this roller coaster ride.

charlie b
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Mark

What you WANT and what you NEED is not the same thing, ;-)))

And yes you're lucky, if you had started with Me you'd have to invent
and build what you needed, that did keep the lid on getting new wants I
tell you.

Thanks for the good wishes, a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to
You and Yours also.

I hope you will keep coming back to this site and in time you'd be able
to take over for those that have left.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Woodborg wrote:
Hi all /snip

and even now there still a
large amout of gear, gadgets and tools i shall have to buy to keep with
this addiction. Marry xmas and new year

Mark (woodborg)

Thankyou all (diy) Les UK diy 0 April 13th 06 08:50 AM
OEF: Sgt. Anton Hiett of Mount Airy, a 25-year-old Army reservist who volunteered to go to Afghanistan a medic, leaves behind a wife, Misty, and a 2-year-old daughter, Kyra. Woodworking 0 March 16th 06 11:16 AM
Happy New Year Rotty Metalworking 4 January 1st 06 07:25 PM
Thankyou Guys! wesf66 Woodworking 5 May 10th 05 04:41 PM