Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Traction Time

Just a reminder that it is traction time again and many tire outlets sell
bags of sand. Most are small enough to be easily aranged in the base of
your lathe stand for steadiness and to dampen vibration, the latter
property being one of the prime reasons for using sand as weight.

Here in the NW, Les Schwab tire dealers sells a 70# bag for $6.00. I bought
three today for the bed of my Ford Ranger - haven't needed to use it in ice
and snow before this winter.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Lobby don't remind me OK, I hate shoveling snow.
You guys did need some water though, after all the dry weather the last
couple of years ;--))
Latest forecast says we have some heading our way, sure been nice here
though the last couple of weeks.
No sand needed for my lathe or truck, but if so, I could dig that right
out of my backyard, with some gravel included, just have to remove a
little top soil and there it is.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Lobby Dosser wrote:
Just a reminder that it is traction time again and many tire outlets sell
bags of sand. Most are small enough to be easily aranged in the base of
your lathe stand for steadiness and to dampen vibration, the latter
property being one of the prime reasons for using sand as weight.

Here in the NW, Les Schwab tire dealers sells a 70# bag for $6.00. I bought
three today for the bed of my Ford Ranger - haven't needed to use it in ice
and snow before this winter.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
Just a reminder that it is traction time again and many tire outlets sell
bags of sand. Most are small enough to be easily aranged in the base of
your lathe stand for steadiness and to dampen vibration, the latter
property being one of the prime reasons for using sand as weight.

Here in the NW, Les Schwab tire dealers sells a 70# bag for $6.00. I
bought
three today for the bed of my Ford Ranger - haven't needed to use it in
ice
and snow before this winter.

What? Don't you store bowl blanks in the back like the rest of us?
Half-dozen frozen 20" birch work great.

Try one bag of chicken grit. Crushed granite around here, and sharper than
any sand out there when it comes to traction. Put it in one of those square
and stable kinds of plastic containers that won't flop around. Keep a
couple of 3' lengths of 8" wide expanded metal available for places where
you might bury too deep for the grit. For those who might accuse me of
jargon rather than precise terminology, here's what I'm referring to.
http://www.directmetals.com/products/expanded_metal/ Regular is preferred
for traction.

Three Rangers the last 25 years, and snow in abundance (~250") behind those
recommendations. No, I don't have 4WD. Not sure where I'd want to go that
I'd need it. The ambulances, well, that's another matter.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"George" wrote:

Three Rangers the last 25 years, and snow in abundance (~250") behind
those recommendations. No, I don't have 4WD. Not sure where I'd want
to go that I'd need it. The ambulances, well, that's another matter.

Around here it's not the snow that keeps me off the road, it's the other
drivers in the snow. And 4WD? I think I see more 4WD vehicles in the ditch
than anything else. Drove one for a few years on 'jeep trails' and all
kinds of weather, actually Needed the 4WD once and that was mud. Around
here everybody and his dog buys one because everybody and his dog buys one.
Wish they'd let the dog drive.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"George" wrote:

Three Rangers the last 25 years, and snow in abundance (~250") behind
those recommendations. No, I don't have 4WD. Not sure where I'd want
to go that I'd need it. The ambulances, well, that's another matter.

Around here it's not the snow that keeps me off the road, it's the other
drivers in the snow. And 4WD? I think I see more 4WD vehicles in the ditch
than anything else. Drove one for a few years on 'jeep trails' and all
kinds of weather, actually Needed the 4WD once and that was mud. Around
here everybody and his dog buys one because everybody and his dog buys
one.
Wish they'd let the dog drive.

4WD is for getting OUT of the place you got stuck with 2.

OTOH, I have gone on runs for miles over snowy roads which turned out to be
groomed snowmobile trails when the markers cropped up, all in 2WD. Scares
me to think how much snow was packed under, and what would have happened if
I had broken through.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"George" wrote:

Three Rangers the last 25 years, and snow in abundance (~250")
behind those recommendations. No, I don't have 4WD. Not sure where
I'd want to go that I'd need it. The ambulances, well, that's
another matter.

Around here it's not the snow that keeps me off the road, it's the
other drivers in the snow. And 4WD? I think I see more 4WD vehicles
in the ditch than anything else. Drove one for a few years on 'jeep
trails' and all kinds of weather, actually Needed the 4WD once and
that was mud. Around here everybody and his dog buys one because
everybody and his dog buys one.
Wish they'd let the dog drive.

4WD is for getting OUT of the place you got stuck with 2.

Sometimes the floormats are enough. Got stuck in sand in Michigan with
bride of one week. Got the mat from the trunk in front of the wheels and
had her rock enough to get me on the mat. Then, without stopping, drove
to the crest of the ridge I'd previously passed. Boy, she was ****ed! Did
I mention that the 'sand' was mostly the consistency of Dust and the car
blew a plume of it all the way to the crest? Boy, she was ****ed! Didn't
even bring the trunk mat.

OTOH, I have gone on runs for miles over snowy roads which turned out
to be groomed snowmobile trails when the markers cropped up, all in
2WD. Scares me to think how much snow was packed under, and what
would have happened if I had broken through.

You would have been demonstrating your survival skills.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Lobby Dosser wrote in

Around here it's not the snow that keeps me off the road, it's the
other drivers in the snow. And 4WD? I think I see more 4WD vehicles in
the ditch than anything else. Drove one for a few years on 'jeep
trails' and all kinds of weather, actually Needed the 4WD once and
that was mud. Around here everybody and his dog buys one because
everybody and his dog buys one. Wish they'd let the dog drive.

Up here in the northern Catskills it's the Ess You Vees, with Jersey
plates, that have the problem (Ct. and Longiland too). Most of us
hillbillies and rednecks coast along fine. Have to pull out the fine folks
periodically, but don't mind it much ceptin' when they offer you a buck or
two. If they were turners, they would have OneWays or Stubby's (Stubbies?),
have powdered steel tools and ask where they can buy an inexpensive pen
kit. Only my observation.
Hank