Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser Lobby Dosser is offline

Default Traction Time

"George" wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
news:IWDbh.13120$IW2.6615@trndny03...
"George" wrote:

Three Rangers the last 25 years, and snow in abundance (~250")
behind those recommendations. No, I don't have 4WD. Not sure where
I'd want to go that I'd need it. The ambulances, well, that's
another matter.

Around here it's not the snow that keeps me off the road, it's the
other drivers in the snow. And 4WD? I think I see more 4WD vehicles
in the ditch than anything else. Drove one for a few years on 'jeep
trails' and all kinds of weather, actually Needed the 4WD once and
that was mud. Around here everybody and his dog buys one because
everybody and his dog buys one.
Wish they'd let the dog drive.

4WD is for getting OUT of the place you got stuck with 2.

Sometimes the floormats are enough. Got stuck in sand in Michigan with
bride of one week. Got the mat from the trunk in front of the wheels and
had her rock enough to get me on the mat. Then, without stopping, drove
to the crest of the ridge I'd previously passed. Boy, she was ****ed! Did
I mention that the 'sand' was mostly the consistency of Dust and the car
blew a plume of it all the way to the crest? Boy, she was ****ed! Didn't
even bring the trunk mat.

OTOH, I have gone on runs for miles over snowy roads which turned out
to be groomed snowmobile trails when the markers cropped up, all in
2WD. Scares me to think how much snow was packed under, and what
would have happened if I had broken through.

You would have been demonstrating your survival skills.