Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
zap zap is offline

Default With a Cheap lathe

What I have turned on my cheap throw away Grizzly lathe.

for those who may be interested, that much can be done with even the
cheapest of lathes.

Http://www.barr-family.com/wood/TrainEngineSide.jpg
Http://www.barr-family.com/wood/EngineFrontAngle.jpg
Http://www.barr-family.com/wood/DriveWheels.jpg
Http://www.barr-family.com/wood/EngineBack-Tender.jpg

All the round parts were turned on Grizzly's hobby lathe ($44.95) 6
inch swing, 24 inch between centers. that uses a 1/2 inch drill motor
for the head. (Use your own drill motor)

Just to show that it can be done.

Zap

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

zap wrote:
What I have turned on my cheap throw away Grizzly lathe.

for those who may be interested, that much can be done with even the
cheapest of lathes.

SNIP

Just to show that it can be done.

Zap

Wow! Nice job! Did you make that from a plan, or did you work out the
measurements yourself?

You are perfect proof of what I tell the guys that work for me....
"don't worry, if you actually get as good as that tool, I'll buy you a
better one."

I still remember when Ruth Niles used to participate frequently on this
group, and all she had was an old Sears monotube. When she went full
time as a turner, she used the lathe until she could afford the
infamous "General".

I like your choo choo a lot.

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

zap wrote:
What I have turned on my cheap throw away Grizzly lathe.

for those who may be interested, that much can be done with even the
cheapest of lathes.

Http://www.barr-family.com/wood/TrainEngineSide.jpg
Http://www.barr-family.com/wood/EngineFrontAngle.jpg
Http://www.barr-family.com/wood/DriveWheels.jpg
Http://www.barr-family.com/wood/EngineBack-Tender.jpg

All the round parts were turned on Grizzly's hobby lathe ($44.95) 6
inch swing, 24 inch between centers. that uses a 1/2 inch drill motor
for the head. (Use your own drill motor)

Just to show that it can be done.

Zap

Wonderful craftsmanship! Well done.

Mike

lathe - metal or wood? Rich Andrews Woodworking 8 March 29th 21 08:43 PM
Help with wiring of old lathe wrace Metalworking 0 May 11th 06 03:37 AM
Lathe moved Paul Metalworking 10 March 12th 04 01:42 PM
Logan Lathe Tool Gloat Grant Erwin Metalworking 9 September 18th 03 07:45 AM
My $20 lathe (well, sort of...) Patrick H. Corrigan Woodworking 4 August 29th 03 02:29 AM