Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Hey Arch

You done any turning with the 3000 head rotated? I've got a 21" chunk of
birch that's thin enough at around 2 1/2" to give me some confidence I can
work it without a tailstock, but I'll be extending around it rather than
using the accessory they sell. Pitfalls? Warnings, cautions, notes?

I have turned on the wrongside orientations - outboard on Ol' Blue, and even
a few times with a freestanding floor rest - don't - at the college, so I'm
not a complete tyro.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Well, I am not Arch and he would know better than me, but this is my
story. I have a Jet 1236 and decided to turn the head 90 degrees as the
wood would not fit over the ways. Well I got a catch and that extension
they gave broke and it and the tool rest bounced off my foot After the
bad language stopped and my foot stopped throbbing, I tuned it straight
and now move the head to get a better angle on the work so I don't have
to lean over the bed so much. So be carfull

Bruce

George wrote:
You done any turning with the 3000 head rotated? I've got a 21" chunk
of birch that's thin enough at around 2 1/2" to give me some confidence
I can work it without a tailstock, but I'll be extending around it
rather than using the accessory they sell. Pitfalls? Warnings,
cautions, notes?

I have turned on the wrongside orientations - outboard on Ol' Blue, and
even a few times with a freestanding floor rest - don't - at the
college, so I'm not a complete tyro.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have read posts here warning that the tool rest extensions on some
lathes are fragile and unsafe. Not sure of the brands, but the Nova
outboard toolrest 'seems' to be heavier and better designed. I don't
like floor stands.

However I agree with Bruce. I don't like to turn blanks that won't fit
over the ways since that was the size the lathe was designed and
engineered for. Plus I like to use tailstock support whenever possible.

By rotating the headstock, I have turned some 18" platters from glued up
pre cut 1" dimension lumber. Any larger platters are too big for my
dinner table and I leave table tops and large wall hangings for others
to turn. I have very gingerly (slow ramp from zero) roughed out a few
larger logs held on a faceplate to get them to fit over the ways. None
larger than the N3K standard toolrest reached.

Otherwise, for comfort, visibility, and not having to remove the
tailstock I use the rotating headstock a lot. Mostly on deep end grain
after much shaping and hollowing between faceplate & tail center/ tenon.

I was given a Harbor Freight outboard bed extension and had thought to
bolt it 2" lower and perpendicular to the bed for holding both toolrest
and tailstock. I used it for a doorstop instead.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have the nova outboard tool rest. I've turned large heavy unballanced
chunks on it. Just go slow and put extra weight on your stand until
everything is running smooth

George wrote:
You done any turning with the 3000 head rotated? I've got a 21" chunk
of birch that's thin enough at around 2 1/2" to give me some confidence
I can work it without a tailstock, but I'll be extending around it
rather than using the accessory they sell. Pitfalls? Warnings,
cautions, notes?

I have turned on the wrongside orientations - outboard on Ol' Blue, and
even a few times with a freestanding floor rest - don't - at the
college, so I'm not a complete tyro.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Arch wrote:
I have read posts here warning that the tool rest extensions on some
lathes are fragile and unsafe. Not sure of the brands, but the Nova
outboard toolrest 'seems' to be heavier and better designed. I don't
like floor stands.

The one that came with my Delta 1440 broke at the stem that fits into
the regular toolrest. They sent me a new one, but I haven't used it.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Acting without thinking can be awfully
entertaining.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Arch" wrote in message

However I agree with Bruce. I don't like to turn blanks that won't fit
over the ways since that was the size the lathe was designed and
engineered for. Plus I like to use tailstock support whenever possible.

By rotating the headstock, I have turned some 18" platters from glued up
pre cut 1" dimension lumber. Any larger platters are too big for my
dinner table and I leave table tops and large wall hangings for others
to turn. I have very gingerly (slow ramp from zero) roughed out a few
larger logs held on a faceplate to get them to fit over the ways. None
larger than the N3K standard toolrest reached.

I'm thinking a half-turn approach may be the one I use, as you guys advise.
My stand relies on geometry rather than weight to stay steady, and that will
keep things closer to reality. Probably be able to use the standard banjo
and rest for it as well, though I do have the old style Delta reach-around
extension if I need to try it. Come to think, I could probably rig the
entire banjo from Ol' Blue onto a table bolt-on. It's still out in the
garage.

It would have been a little tight in my shop to rotate the full 90 degrees
and get a good stance, so I'd almost have to have moved the stand right
about 2 feet. That would have meant moving the workbench too.

As soon as the snow melts, I'll give it a swing. Since it'll be shallow, I
shouldn't be in a hurry to hollow it out, so I'll be gentle. Back to the
planer, now that he's had a chance to cool down and I to drink up.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

George, I don't know how old your N3K is, but some time back
Technatool/Woodcraft offered a free upgrade for the headstock locking
device. A tapered shaft with cross wise holes and a stout bar for
cranking. You might want to check with Woodcraft or a parts list if
there is any question about yours. They sent me one promptly and didn't
ask where I got my N3K.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Arch" wrote in message
George, I don't know how old your N3K is, but some time back
Technatool/Woodcraft offered a free upgrade for the headstock locking
device. A tapered shaft with cross wise holes and a stout bar for
cranking. You might want to check with Woodcraft or a parts list if
there is any question about yours. They sent me one promptly and didn't
ask where I got my N3K.

Mine's after that modification, I believe, but before the tailstock change.
I've had him for a bit over a year and a half, and his former owner for two.
It's got the same setup pictured in the October 2003 manual, is yours
different?

Edging on an arch ? PhilJ UK diy 5 September 24th 06 06:35 PM
Grain Direction in Arch damian penney Woodworking 2 August 17th 06 03:09 PM
Gluing cedar end-grain for arch RonB Woodworking 5 June 28th 06 06:57 AM
Making an arch in plasterboard wall Glenn Robinson UK diy 6 April 12th 04 09:32 AM
As long as Arch is Elsewhere George Woodturning 26 February 6th 04 11:10 AM