Glenn Robinson

Default Making an arch in plasterboard wall

Hello,

I have a plasterboard wall between two rooms in my house and I want to cut
out an arched entrance between the two rooms. I have seen arch forming kits
from Screwfix direct but, once I've cut the shape of the arch what do I need
to finish off the edges of the arch? I'm just leaving an arched openning,
not fitting any kind of door.

Thanks

--

Glenn

Kirkjsmith

hi Glenn,

Plastic arch bead should be used for this.
Simply fix over the edges of the cut arch you make. If your wall is already
stud and plasterboard then there is no need to purchase an arch former kit.
Fill in the cavity of the arch with expamet mesh or similar. Any good builders
merchant will stock arch bead. Screwfix also stock them but I think there is a
minimum order.
Glenn Robinson

--

Glenn
"Kirkjsmith" wrote in message
hi Glenn,

Plastic arch bead should be used for this.
Simply fix over the edges of the cut arch you make. If your wall is

already
stud and plasterboard then there is no need to purchase an arch former

kit.
Fill in the cavity of the arch with expamet mesh or similar. Any good

builders
merchant will stock arch bead. Screwfix also stock them but I think there

is a
minimum order.

Ok, thanks for this.

You say I don't need an arch former, I assume because I just need to cut the
shape out, correct?

After the beading is in place what would I use to cover this so that the
beading isn't showing?

Thanks

Glenn

Arthur

I recently had an 'arch' added to an alcove on one side of a chimney breast.
The plasterer used arch forms. These come in back-to-back pairs and are
designed to overlap
the adjacent wall to some extent so some skimming will be required.
They sell them on www.build-center.co.uk in various radii.

Arthur.

"Glenn Robinson" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a plasterboard wall between two rooms in my house and I want to cut
out an arched entrance between the two rooms. I have seen arch forming

kits
from Screwfix direct but, once I've cut the shape of the arch what do I

need
to finish off the edges of the arch? I'm just leaving an arched openning,
not fitting any kind of door.

Thanks

--

Glenn

Lurch

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 07:36:31 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Glenn Robinson"
strung together this:

After the beading is in place what would I use to cover this so that the
beading isn't showing?

Try plaster.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.

Kirkjsmith

yeah glenn,

you gotta plaster afterwards to finish the job off properly. You should get
away with a 2 coat skim.