Member

Location: Halesworth, Suffolk.uk
Default Dust extractor use

I've just brought a dust extractor and i'm asking at what point you start using it. I.e right from the minute the blank it mounted on the lathe, roughing out, final cuts or just for sanding.
Mark

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi

I find that the DC is mostly useless for catching chips at the lathe.
Sometimes, if everything is going right, it will catch a fair amount
when hollowing.

When I start to see dust coming off the work, whether still using tools
or sanding, that's when I turn the DC on. Something like redheart that
only comes off as small chips and dust the DC will contain 90 percent.
When sanding it probably contains about 98 percent of the dust.

I built a box with an 8 x 8 opening above the ways, hooked to 4" hose.
Sits behind the lathe on the stand, unattached, so I can move it along
as I work.

Hint: If you only have the heavy canvas bags on the DC you are mostly
just moving the dust cloud from one area to another. Upgrading to felt
bags will keep most of the dust inside, and they generally increase the
amount of air moving.

Woodborg wrote:
I've just brought a dust extractor and i'm asking at what point you
start using it. I.e right from the minute the blank it mounted on the
lathe, roughing out, final cuts or just for sanding.
Mark

--
Bill Berglin

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid
in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming, 'WOW! What A RIDE!!" ... Unknown
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 08:28:58 +0100, Woodborg
wrote:

I've just brought a dust extractor and i'm asking at what point you
start using it. I.e right from the minute the blank it mounted on the
lathe, roughing out, final cuts or just for sanding.
Mark

I only use it when sanding...

In my experience, if you use it while doing actual turning, you spend more time
clearing the lines of shavings then you do turning..

Just MHO, but since they didn't call it a shaving or chip collector, I pretty
much use it for dust.. *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Member

Location: Halesworth, Suffolk.uk

Thanks for the quick replies. After finding an hour after work i turned a small bowl and came up with pretty much the same conclusion, that when the shavings are heading two dust then turn the DC on.
Living in the country with not many poeple about i have put the outlet of the DC out side the shed. As soon as i can i will build a storage cuboard to collect the dust/small chippings. The fine stuff can self feltilize the garden *g*
All i got to do now is monitor the temp in the shed and see if dumping all that air outside makes it toooooooo cold to turn.
Mark

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Woodborg wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies. After finding an hour after work i turned
a small bowl and came up with pretty much the same conclusion, that
when the shavings are heading two dust then turn the DC on.
Living in the country with not many poeple about i have put the outlet
of the DC out side the shed. As soon as i can i will build a storage
cuboard to collect the dust/small chippings. The fine stuff can self
feltilize the garden *g*
All i got to do now is monitor the temp in the shed and see if dumping
all that air outside makes it toooooooo cold to turn.
Mark

I put the whole thing in the shed. The electric outlet for it is
controlled by a switch inside. Makes much less noise for me that way.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Above all things, revere yourself.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I use mine for dust and a snow shovel for the shavings.

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"Woodborg" wrote in message

I've just brought a dust extractor and i'm asking at what point you
start using it. I.e right from the minute the blank it mounted on the
lathe, roughing out, final cuts or just for sanding.
Mark

--
Woodborg

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 08:28:58 +0100, Woodborg wrote:

I've just brought a dust extractor and i'm asking at what point you
start using it. I.e right from the minute the blank it mounted on the
lathe, roughing out, final cuts or just for sanding. Mark

They are mis-named. The 'dust' the low-end systems collect is big enough to
fall out of the air of its own accord.

I do not rely on either the DC or the shop vac filters to protect my
health. They are there purely for the sake of cleanliness. The DC pulls
through a cyclone mounted over a large fiberboard drum. That stops the big
pieces well enough that, after more than a year of near-daily use, there
is still no more than about 3" of dust in the bottom filter bag. The chips
and saw dust find their way out to the garden paths to moulder until I
think they are ready to add to the garden beds.

I have a home-built 2000 cfm ambient air cleaner whose final filter is
rated to trap .3 microns ... according to a medical friend of mine, that's
enough to trap many viruses and all bacteria. Certainly fine enough to
protect my lungs. It is in a 31 x 11 basement shop, so it filters the air
fairly frequently.

And no matter what dust collection / air cleaning system you use, WEAR
YOUR RESPIRATOR. Being closest to the point of creation, your lungs get
first dibs on all the dust you generate. And, no matter which tool you are
using, if you are seperating one wood fiber from another, you are
generating dust. Even if you can't see it.

Bill