Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Workshop air filters.

Hello, i am considering buying an air filter for my workshop, and any
thoughts or input from your own experience will be welcome.
At the moment i am looking at the perform air filter from Axminster.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID...lter-33223.htm

Is i nessecary to change the filters , or can you clean them.

Anders.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Iznogood" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello, i am considering buying an air filter for my workshop, and any
thoughts or input from your own experience will be welcome.
At the moment i am looking at the perform air filter from Axminster.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID...lter-33223.htm

Is i nessecary to change the filters , or can you clean them.

Do you have a dust collector? The money play is to get the bulk of the
sanding dust under control as close to the source as possible. The unit you
are looking at will do a great job at filtering the air and dust that gets
to it, but why wait, when you can jump in early.

The standard 4" hose with a galvanized forced air heating fixture on the
end, which can be held to the ways by magnets will get virtually everything
if you are sanding under power, because the dust will have direction based
on gravity and centrifugal forces. I use mine, with hearing protection, and
I can barely soil a handkerchief after a sanding session.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If you are trying to keep the harmful dust out of your lungs it is a waste
of money. No repeat no DC will get the sub 5 micron stuff out of the air,
The ones that say they will remove down to 3 microns will do so after the
dust has caked on the filter so almost NO air can get through. That is the
reason that commercial shops have the DC venting outside. If you can see it
it, is not dangerous but under 5 microns the lungs can't expel it.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org
"Iznogood" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello, i am considering buying an air filter for my workshop, and any
thoughts or input from your own experience will be welcome.
At the moment i am looking at the perform air filter from Axminster.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID...lter-33223.htm

Is i nessecary to change the filters , or can you clean them.

Anders.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Art Ransom" wrote in message
If you are trying to keep the harmful dust out of your lungs it is a waste
of money. No repeat no DC will get the sub 5 micron stuff out of the air,
The ones that say they will remove down to 3 microns will do so after the
dust has caked on the filter so almost NO air can get through. That is the
reason that commercial shops have the DC venting outside. If you can see
it it, is not dangerous but under 5 microns the lungs can't expel it.

Uh, mine has 0.5 micron filters that move plenty of air.

Be careful with your sweeping generalizations.

In any case, the device he is looking at is not a dust collector, it is an
air filter with two stage filtration to 1 micron and is intended to be used
as an adjunct to a dust collector. Its primary purpose is to clear the
fines that remain suspended after the dust collector has done its thing.

I may build one of those myself one of these days--if I just leave the
cyclone going for a while it accomplishes the same thing but the filter
draws a lot less power.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster , Texas

www.turningaround.org
"Iznogood" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello, i am considering buying an air filter for my workshop, and any
thoughts or input from your own experience will be welcome.
At the moment i am looking at the perform air filter from Axminster.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID...lter-33223.htm

Is i nessecary to change the filters , or can you clean them.

Anders.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi J,

What make and model do you have that handles the .5 micron particulates?

Did you research any others before you selected the one you have?

thanks
George

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

"Art Ransom" wrote in message
[...]

"Iznogood" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello, i am considering buying an air filter for my workshop, and any
thoughts or input from your own experience will be welcome.
At the moment i am looking at the perform air filter from Axminster.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID...lter-33223.htm

Is i nessecary to change the filters , or can you clean them.

Anders.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 10:49:39 +0000, George Saridakis wrote:

Hi J,

What make and model do you have that handles the .5 micron particulates?

It's a Bill Pentz cyclone with Torit filters.

Did you research any others before you selected the one you have?

Yes. None of the other cyclones available at the time with adequate power
would fit under my ceiling.

thanks
George

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

"Art Ransom" wrote in message
[...]

"Iznogood" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hello, i am considering buying an air filter for my workshop, and any
thoughts or input from your own experience will be welcome. At the
moment i am looking at the perform air filter from Axminster.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID...lter-33223.htm

Is i nessecary to change the filters , or can you clean them.

Anders.

--
X:\Newsreaders\sig.txt