Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Workshop air filters.

Hello, i am considering buying an air filter for my workshop, and any
thoughts or input from your own experience will be welcome.
At the moment i am looking at the perform air filter from Axminster.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID...lter-33223.htm

Is i nessecary to change the filters , or can you clean them.

Anders.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8 Oct 2006 12:42:39 -0700, "Iznogood"
wrote:

Hello, i am considering buying an air filter for my workshop, and any
thoughts or input from your own experience will be welcome.
At the moment i am looking at the perform air filter from Axminster.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID...lter-33223.htm

Is i nessecary to change the filters , or can you clean them.

Anders.

I highly recommend building one that uses cheap standard furnace
filters. With the cost of the filters so low it doesn't make sense to
clean them. Mine pulls air through three furnace filters and the
unit rolls around the shop on wheels. It clears the shop air in
minutes--well worth having.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Hello, i am considering buying an air filter for my workshop, and any
thoughts or input from your own experience will be welcome.
At the moment i am looking at the perform air filter from Axminster.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/sessionID...lter-33223.htm

Is i nessecary to change the filters , or can you clean them.

Anders.

I highly recommend building one that uses cheap standard furnace
filters. With the cost of the filters so low it doesn't make sense to
clean them. Mine pulls air through three furnace filters and the
unit rolls around the shop on wheels. It clears the shop air in
minutes--well worth having.

I was planning on building a downdraft table that will also filter the
air. The plans I found are at:
http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/p...ding_table.htm
I may alter the design some to try an incorporate a the type of bag
filter used by many of the commercial shop air filters.
Regards,
Rick

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Mine uses a coarse furnace filter (for chips), fine furnace filter below
that, then the pleated bag filter from Penn State. It uses a furnace
squirrel cage blower below all this. The top has 1 inch holes to be used
as a downdraft sanding table and tilts back for more air flow for
general use. It really catches a pile of dust. And I use my regular dust
collector piped to the saws and a handheld hose for the lathe.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A sweater is a garment worn by a child
when his mother feels chilly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you're on a tight budget or want a temporary solution, a 20x20
furnace filter taped to a cheap box fan works fairly well. Or, if you
have a little more time, I made one out of a dryer motor with blower
attached and a few furnace filters in a box. I'd still recommend a mask
or respirator for any extended sanding - the fine dust is no good for
your lungs.
Stay safe,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8 Oct 2006 19:32:32 -0700, "Andy" wrote:

If you're on a tight budget or want a temporary solution, a 20x20
furnace filter taped to a cheap box fan works fairly well. Or, if you
have a little more time, I made one out of a dryer motor with blower
attached and a few furnace filters in a box. I'd still recommend a mask
or respirator for any extended sanding - the fine dust is no good for
your lungs.
Stay safe,
Andy

Yep.. my first one was a box fan with course and fine filters duct taped on...
It worked ok, but what I didn't realize is that most "store bought" units that
seemed under powered to me were that way for a reason...
Unless I had the fan on it's lowest speed, it blew as much dust around as it
collected..
I'm really enjoying my Jet filter, though I really question the price of almost
$300...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 17:54:43 -0700, Rick wrote:

I was planning on building a downdraft table that will also filter the
air. The plans I found are at:
http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/p...ding_table.htm

I was gifted the same motor / squirrel cage assembly from a friend in the
HC business. I put it in a large plywood enclosure that supports my
grinder / belt sanders on top and has its air inlets on both sides. It's
located at one end of a narrow (11' wide) 31' long basement shop and has
1,600 square inches of filter surface with a standard fiberglass filter
outside, a 5 micron filter in the middle and a .3 micron filter nearest
the blower made by duct-taping 6 20x20 filters together. (Two, end to end,
for each layer).

The big stuff drops to the floor, of course, but the filter pulls the
smaller stuff out of the air so well that I can varnish about as fast as I
can get the can open. I get one air exchange every 70 seconds or so with
an obvious circulation of the dust back toward the inlets along the
outside walls. To account for air mixing, I usually allow about 5 minutes
or so between a dust-producing activity and finish application.

My HF dust collector spits out 30 micron particles, so it is located in
the return air stream, between me and the shop air filter. You can watch
the dust leave the DC and head straight for the filter. I like that.

This is great filtration ... but I still wear my respirator while working
because, due to proximity, my lungs get first dibs on the dust.

Bill