Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default wood topped glass table

I was asked to put a wood table top on a large glass jar. This is a neat
trick, or at least it was for me. If you are interested the steps are over
at
http://aroundthewoods.com/bottletable.html

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Darrell

Glass bottle you say, carboy we call them, 54 liter, I have a couple,
quite fragile, and mine are full with grape juice, just bubbling away.

Nice job, but FRAGILE.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
I was asked to put a wood table top on a large glass jar. This is a neat
trick, or at least it was for me. If you are interested the steps are over
at
http://aroundthewoods.com/bottletable.html

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

" wrote:

Hi Darrell

Glass bottle you say, carboy we call them, 54 liter, I have a couple,
quite fragile, and mine are full with grape juice, just bubbling away.

Nice job, but FRAGILE.

Second the nice job.

But the carboys I remember from childhood had a pretty thick wall and
seemed to take a fair amount of punishment, as they were used over and
over. This was in Scotland, so maybe the word applies to differnet types of
glass container.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
I was asked to put a wood table top on a large glass jar. This is a neat
trick, or at least it was for me. If you are interested the steps are over
at
http://aroundthewoods.com/bottletable.html

Not sophisticated around here, but I have done a couple milk can tables.
Never question a customer's taste, just your own, I say. With the bottled
water boom discovering plastic, ought to be a few glass bottles for those
who want 'em.

Tradition has the cleat running cross-grain, as you know, to help keep the
top flat. Slotted places for the screws to accommodate movement. Yours
looks like it runs along the grain. Looks like white ash, or is your local
black fairly light in color?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks Leo.
Like Lobby says, this thing is pretty solid. I have no idea how old but it
has been around for a while and seems to have taken a few knocks and
survived.

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
oups.com...

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
I was asked to put a wood table top on a large glass jar. This is a neat
trick, or at least it was for me. If you are interested the steps are

over
at
http://aroundthewoods.com/bottletable.html

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks George.
I was thinking of putting the top cross grain but most movement will be
along it so I slotted the screw holes and put it length wise. This is a one
piece top and well dried so I think it will be all right. I think this is
white ash. The color here varies quite a bit and some of the black is fairly
pale.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"George" wrote in message
t...

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
I was asked to put a wood table top on a large glass jar. This is a neat
trick, or at least it was for me. If you are interested the steps are

over
at
http://aroundthewoods.com/bottletable.html

Not sophisticated around here, but I have done a couple milk can tables.
Never question a customer's taste, just your own, I say. With the bottled
water boom discovering plastic, ought to be a few glass bottles for those
who want 'em.

Tradition has the cleat running cross-grain, as you know, to help keep the
top flat. Slotted places for the screws to accommodate movement. Yours
looks like it runs along the grain. Looks like white ash, or is your

local
black fairly light in color?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Guys

I guess this might be another case of "economics" as in the way they
used to be and the way they are now, the carboys I have are almost
paper thin and hand blown, one is slightly thicker than the other one.
The first one I got from an older man that was unable to any longer
handle the large bulky bottle, and the last one I bought from an
Portuguese store that gets it's olive oil in bulk in those bottles, and
it is very thin.
Trying to remember now, I'm quite sure that the carboys we used to get,
with battery acid or distilled water in them, were a lot thicker than
the ones I have now, funny I didn't think of that before.
And yes those would be a lot stronger, but still glass.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Lobby Dosser wrote:
" wrote:

Hi Darrell

Glass bottle you say, carboy we call them, 54 liter, I have a couple,
quite fragile, and mine are full with grape juice, just bubbling away.

Nice job, but FRAGILE.

Second the nice job.

But the carboys I remember from childhood had a pretty thick wall and
seemed to take a fair amount of punishment, as they were used over and
over. This was in Scotland, so maybe the word applies to differnet types of
glass container.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Fingers and brain disconnect on previous post.. Sorry

If that were mine. Darrell, I'd be really tempted to take out my router and
cut a not to conspicuous narrow slot in the center of the table and use jar
as a giant coin bank.

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
I was asked to put a wood table top on a large glass jar. This is a neat
trick, or at least it was for me. If you are interested the steps are over
at
http://aroundthewoods.com/bottletable.html

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Jim
In Canada our coins go up to $2.00 each. That would be an expensive bottle.

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"Jim Hall" wrote in message
Fingers and brain disconnect on previous post.. Sorry

If that were mine. Darrell, I'd be really tempted to take out my router

and
cut a not to conspicuous narrow slot in the center of the table and use

jar
as a giant coin bank.

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
I was asked to put a wood table top on a large glass jar. This is a neat
trick, or at least it was for me. If you are interested the steps are

over
at
http://aroundthewoods.com/bottletable.html

______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Ha.. Would have no problem in the states filling one up in no time with
pennies. There about as close to worthless as you can get. Many people
won't even bend over to pick them up if they drop one. I heard they cost
more to make than they're worth. Kind of a nuisance in your pocket. I'm
always looking to get rid of them, guess I need to find me one of those
green jugs.. grin Well ok, then.. Maybe there's something else in Nova
Scotia that's small, collectable and easy to find.. Sea shells..?