Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default wood topped glass table

Thanks George.
I was thinking of putting the top cross grain but most movement will be
along it so I slotted the screw holes and put it length wise. This is a one
piece top and well dried so I think it will be all right. I think this is
white ash. The color here varies quite a bit and some of the black is fairly
pale.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"George" wrote in message
t...

"Darrell Feltmate" wrote in message
I was asked to put a wood table top on a large glass jar. This is a neat
trick, or at least it was for me. If you are interested the steps are

over
at
http://aroundthewoods.com/bottletable.html

Not sophisticated around here, but I have done a couple milk can tables.
Never question a customer's taste, just your own, I say. With the bottled
water boom discovering plastic, ought to be a few glass bottles for those
who want 'em.

Tradition has the cleat running cross-grain, as you know, to help keep the
top flat. Slotted places for the screws to accommodate movement. Yours
looks like it runs along the grain. Looks like white ash, or is your

local
black fairly light in color?