Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Buffing System

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 13:24:23 -0700, Jimbo wrote:

Hi All,

I recently bought the Beall 3 part buffing system as a few of you have
recommended here. Works great! I love the results.

The only thing I don't like is having to change the wheels each time.

I have seen a picture on somebody's web site that I cant remember
where but it showed all 3 wheels on one spindle powered on the lathe.

I tried a long piece of threaded rod but does not provide enough
support and it was (way) too wobbly in the middle.

Would 3 pieces of 1 in. diameter aluminum rod with the ends threaded
with a 3/8-16 (to hold the buffing pad) and screwed together be
sufficient to hold all 3 wheels?

Or I am open to other suggestions too!

Thanks,

Jim

Jim... I'm guessing that you got the adapter with the wheels, so each wheel
threads on and off?

I was actually building a 3 motor system and stopped when Chuck, my mentor,
suggested that I practice changing wheels a bit before taking up all that
room...
He was right...
Once you get into the "groove", it takes about 10 or 15 seconds to change the
wheel...
When you've done the 1st wheel, just spin it off... if you want more speed, turn
the hand wheel the other direction and it comes off faster.. *g*

I put a plastic washer on each wheel, just on loose after the nut on the wheel
to prevent it from over tightening on the adapter...
When I put the next wheel on, I just start the thread and spin it to get it
seated, then turn on the lathe... that does the rest of the tightening while I'm
getting the next stick or picking up the bowl...

Another reason the I didn't buy or build the 3 wheel rod is that I saw several
disadvantages to it:

How far do you have to separate the wheels to be able to buff a bowl without
hitting a nearby wheel?

How large a bowl can you buff? I tend to swing the bowl back and forth while
buffing the inside.. I can get a pretty good swing on the "outside" of the wheel
as long as I'm aware of the center bolt head... With the rod setup, I couldn't
swing the bowl further than I can now on the "adapter" side of the wheel..

Unless you have the 3 wheel setup on a bench or something with it's own motor,
how long would/wood it take to mount/unmount it from your lathe?
I have the Morse taper adapter but usually just hold the adapter in the Talon
chuck, since it's already on the lathe... either taper or chuck is very fast
and no tail stock to get in the way..

Buff a few turnings and see if you really need a different setup.. I thought
that I did, too.. YMMV
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

At the risk of getting someone in trouble...

I have a single buff adapter which mounts on the lathe spindle thread.
It takes one buff and they thread on.

I'm using a VFD driven lathe so... I get the first buff started on the
thread and hit start. As it ramps up, with a little help from me
holding the buff, it screws itself on and I'm off and running.

When it is time to change, I reverse the lathe. It slows down stops, I
grab the buff and as it ramps up in reverse, the buff unscrews into my hand.

I reverse it again and by the time it is ready to start in the forward
direction I have the next one ready to go on. If all goes well and I
can get the thread started quickly, there is no need to hit stop.

However -- I tried that on a friend's lathe which was being driven by a
DC variable speed drive. I found out the hard way on those that you
can't do flying direction changes -- it blows all the fuses.

Bill

Jimbo wrote:
On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 08:17:24 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

snip

[...]

Mac,
I did get the adapter so each wheel does need to be threaded on and
off.

What you say makes a lot of sense about how long it takes to mount the
3 wheel system onto the lathe as compared to just threading them on
and off. It just seems there is a lot of thread before it gets
tightened. Maybe some spacers or shorter bolts would help?

I was looking at trying to make the 3 wheel system at least 36" long
to avoid the problem of hitting the wheel next to it while buffing. It
looked like the system Beall sells is much shorter than that.

I guess I will continue to use it as is but I'll see what Mr. Hart has
to offer. I'll post some pictures if I venture further with the 3
wheel system (not here though)

Thanks,

Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

Mac,
I did get the adapter so each wheel does need to be threaded on and
off.

What you say makes a lot of sense about how long it takes to mount the
3 wheel system onto the lathe as compared to just threading them on
and off. It just seems there is a lot of thread before it gets
tightened. Maybe some spacers or shorter bolts would help?

That's why I have the plastic washer/spacer on the bolt, so I can turn the wheel
a few revolutions to make sure it's not cross threaded (not happy with steel
bolt and aluminum adapter) and then just turn the lathe on.. the lathe spinning
does most of the work and the washer prevents it from over tightening, as it got
a good "snap" without the washer...

I was looking at trying to make the 3 wheel system at least 36" long
to avoid the problem of hitting the wheel next to it while buffing. It
looked like the system Beall sells is much shorter than that.

I guess I will continue to use it as is but I'll see what Mr. Hart has
to offer. I'll post some pictures if I venture further with the 3
wheel system (not here though)

As I said before, with a little practical use, I think that you'll find that a
few seconds to change wheels in not a bad thing...

If I was in a really big hurry, I'd but 2 more adapters and just chuck them, but
for me, being in a hurry is not only unsafe but changes turning from a hobby to
production...

Thanks,

Jim