Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Buffing System

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:57:36 -0700, Jimbo wrote:

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 08:17:24 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

Mac,
I did get the adapter so each wheel does need to be threaded on and
off.

What you say makes a lot of sense about how long it takes to mount the
3 wheel system onto the lathe as compared to just threading them on
and off. It just seems there is a lot of thread before it gets
tightened. Maybe some spacers or shorter bolts would help?

That's why I have the plastic washer/spacer on the bolt, so I can turn the wheel
a few revolutions to make sure it's not cross threaded (not happy with steel
bolt and aluminum adapter) and then just turn the lathe on.. the lathe spinning
does most of the work and the washer prevents it from over tightening, as it got
a good "snap" without the washer...

I was looking at trying to make the 3 wheel system at least 36" long
to avoid the problem of hitting the wheel next to it while buffing. It
looked like the system Beall sells is much shorter than that.

I guess I will continue to use it as is but I'll see what Mr. Hart has
to offer. I'll post some pictures if I venture further with the 3
wheel system (not here though)

As I said before, with a little practical use, I think that you'll find that a
few seconds to change wheels in not a bad thing...

If I was in a really big hurry, I'd but 2 more adapters and just chuck them, but
for me, being in a hurry is not only unsafe but changes turning from a hobby to
production...

Thanks,

Jim

Mac