Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Recent thoughts on Craftsman 15' pro?

Hi,

Wondering if there is anyone currently using the Craftsman 15"
Professional lathe from Sears and would be willing to share their
experience with it?

The one I am considering purchasing can be seen he
"http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B000HU3AMS/qid=1158434256/ref=sr_1_2/102-9537809-2388151?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core&mqnodeid=APS"

Bit of background.... started out last Dec. with a BusyBee Craftx since
I was new to turning and wanted a low end unit to learn on. The lathe
was worth what I paid for it, but I soon discovered it would be soon
time to upgrade to a slightly better model.
Well, I turned the lathe on this morning, and the speed control was
stuck in place, put a small bit of pressure on it and heard gears
stripping - turns out the shaft that controls the pulley distance is
stripped. Perfect excuse to go buy another tool! (yea I know its still
under warrenty, but I'd much rather use the motor to power my Beal
Buffer!)

I went to the local Home depot and rona's, to see what they had -
nothing! Only thing I seen was a small Delta midi. I can't seem to find
any local tool stores here in Brampton Ontario that stock lathes, so
thought I'd check sears as a last resort.

Have not purchased a craftsmen tool in many a year so have no idea of
the quality - searching the archive for this group gives mixed reviews
for the lathe in question, so figured I would request info from folks
currently using this lathe.
Have no need for the tools supplied with the lathe since I am a tool
junky and have the usual "amount' of turning tools : )

All comments on this unit Welcome!

(note to Darrell - we exchanged comments early in the year, and I
continue to check your website on a regular basis - well done!)