Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default How remove hot glue residue?

I've been turning some shallow bowls and plates by hot gluing a stubby
wooden cylinder to the block (bottom of the piece) and clamping it in
the chuck. When I am done with the lathe work I am cutting the work
piece off of the temporary chuck cylinder. In trying to conserve as
much of my block as possible I end up parting at about the glue joint.
Some of the glue ends up melting on the parting tool which is pretty
easily removed. Some glue residue remains on the piece after I have cut
it off. How is the best way to remove the hot glue residue from the
work piece?

Thanks,

Fred
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Fred" "wary_dragon AT yahoo DOT com" wrote in message
I've been turning some shallow bowls and plates by hot gluing a stubby
wooden cylinder to the block (bottom of the piece) and clamping it in the
chuck. When I am done with the lathe work I am cutting the work piece off
of the temporary chuck cylinder. In trying to conserve as much of my
block as possible I end up parting at about the glue joint. Some of the
glue ends up melting on the parting tool which is pretty easily removed.
Some glue residue remains on the piece after I have cut it off. How is
the best way to remove the hot glue residue from the work piece?

Part glue joints with a chisel. Hot glue responds best to peeling action
once a start is made, more rigid glues to smart blows. Bevel toward the
good wood and parallel to the face avoids digs.

I've always been able to peel hot glue with a finger, like rubber cement.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Fred
(1) paint thinner
(2) heat gun blast and peal sway
(3) a light stroke with a chisel
(4) sand off when doing the bowl bottom (you will need to clean the sanding
disk)
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"George" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Fred wrote:
I've been turning some shallow bowls and plates by hot gluing a stubby
wooden cylinder to the block (bottom of the piece) and clamping it in
the chuck. When I am done with the lathe work I am cutting the work
piece off of the temporary chuck cylinder. In trying to conserve as
much of my block as possible I end up parting at about the glue joint.
Some of the glue ends up melting on the parting tool which is pretty
easily removed. Some glue residue remains on the piece after I have cut
it off. How is the best way to remove the hot glue residue from the
work piece?

Thanks,

Fred

Methyl Hydrate. I use a syringe and trickle some on the joint. The glue
joint just falls apart. You can in most cases do this even with a
finish on and it will not affect it, however not on lacquer as it
leaves white streaks.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Interesting to hear these replies.

I rely on an iron and a few piecesof kitchen towel. I simply place the
kitchen towl on the glue, put the iron on top, and heat it. Much of
the glue soaks into the towel, and then I wipe up the rest. I have to
heat it maybe 2 time to get it all off, and then use the steel wool I
used on the carving, still soaked with danish oil to finsih it off.

A flannel (does flannel work in American lingo? - face cloth?) works
extremely well, but then my wife gets upset!

Steve