Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Steve S Steve S is offline

Default How remove hot glue residue?

Interesting to hear these replies.

I rely on an iron and a few piecesof kitchen towel. I simply place the
kitchen towl on the glue, put the iron on top, and heat it. Much of
the glue soaks into the towel, and then I wipe up the rest. I have to
heat it maybe 2 time to get it all off, and then use the steel wool I
used on the carving, still soaked with danish oil to finsih it off.

A flannel (does flannel work in American lingo? - face cloth?) works
extremely well, but then my wife gets upset!

Steve

Mike R. Courteau wrote:
Fred wrote:
I've been turning some shallow bowls and plates by hot gluing a stubby
wooden cylinder to the block (bottom of the piece) and clamping it in
the chuck. When I am done with the lathe work I am cutting the work
piece off of the temporary chuck cylinder. In trying to conserve as
much of my block as possible I end up parting at about the glue joint.
Some of the glue ends up melting on the parting tool which is pretty
easily removed. Some glue residue remains on the piece after I have cut
it off. How is the best way to remove the hot glue residue from the
work piece?

Thanks,

Fred

Methyl Hydrate. I use a syringe and trickle some on the joint. The glue
joint just falls apart. You can in most cases do this even with a
finish on and it will not affect it, however not on lacquer as it
leaves white streaks.

Mike