Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default How remove hot glue residue?

"Fred" "wary_dragon AT yahoo DOT com" wrote in message
I've been turning some shallow bowls and plates by hot gluing a stubby
wooden cylinder to the block (bottom of the piece) and clamping it in the
chuck. When I am done with the lathe work I am cutting the work piece off
of the temporary chuck cylinder. In trying to conserve as much of my
block as possible I end up parting at about the glue joint. Some of the
glue ends up melting on the parting tool which is pretty easily removed.
Some glue residue remains on the piece after I have cut it off. How is
the best way to remove the hot glue residue from the work piece?

Part glue joints with a chisel. Hot glue responds best to peeling action
once a start is made, more rigid glues to smart blows. Bevel toward the
good wood and parallel to the face avoids digs.

I've always been able to peel hot glue with a finger, like rubber cement.