Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Drying Holm Oak (aka Evergreen)

Hi,

My father is shortly to have a large (40 - 50 ft) Holm Oak cut down in
his garden. As a novice woodturner, I have had been lucky enough to
receive decent amounts of free wood from him as various trees have been
cut down on his property in South Devon, England, mostly Ash and
Sycamore.
I have tried to find out about the suitability of the Holm for turning,
but there is very little information. I know that there have been a few
posts on this newsgroup, but I am looking for practical advice on
storing and drying this species for future use.
Any advice or help would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Pete.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"devccxi" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My father is shortly to have a large (40 - 50 ft) Holm Oak cut down in
his garden. As a novice woodturner, I have had been lucky enough to
receive decent amounts of free wood from him as various trees have been
cut down on his property in South Devon, England, mostly Ash and
Sycamore.
I have tried to find out about the suitability of the Holm for turning,
but there is very little information. I know that there have been a few
posts on this newsgroup, but I am looking for practical advice on
storing and drying this species for future use.
Any advice or help would be most appreciated.

For turnings, it's probably best to TDT (Turn,Dry,Turn) so you don't have as
much wood involved to organize a split. Dries much faster, degrade is
better controlled.

For the rest, might want to look at the good advice here under Lumber
Drying. http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/tmu/publications.html

Yours will be similar to red oaks or "Live Oak," which means not much for
timber, but should turn well enough.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

devccxi wrote:
Hi,

My father is shortly to have a large (40 - 50 ft) Holm Oak cut down in
his garden. As a novice woodturner, I have had been lucky enough to
receive decent amounts of free wood from him as various trees have been
cut down on his property in South Devon, England, mostly Ash and
Sycamore.
I have tried to find out about the suitability of the Holm for turning,
but there is very little information. I know that there have been a few
posts on this newsgroup, but I am looking for practical advice on
storing and drying this species for future use.
Any advice or help would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Pete.

Here is what Mark Baker has to say about it in his "Woodturning
Projects" book
Oak, Holm (Quercus ilex)
Holm or Evergreen oak is a deep brown colour, often having black
streaks in it. This is a pleasant wood to work with. It has an open
grain structure, as do most oaks, but seasons and cuts well. The sap is
a cream or buff colour, while the heartwood is a darker brown with the
darker streaks. It is not usually commercially available, but is well
worth keeping a look out for.

So it seems you have somthing worth keeping. I normally cut logs longer
than the diameter by about 25%. If bigger than 8" in diameter I split
them in half for bowls/hollow forms. Coat all cut ends with parafin wax
or wax emulsion. Store VERTICAL on a slatted shelf until use. If you
want to turn green then submerge the log in water until you are ready
to turn it . Turn to rough size, coat all exterior surface with wax and
store in a cool dry place in a paper bag or wrapped in newspaper. After
about 3-6 months check moisture content and when dry turn to finish
size.

There are all sorts of magic recipes on the internet for doing quick
drying, but none that have been proven to work every time, so I would
advise you to stay away from them. If you get into a similar regimen to
what I have described this will allow you the luxury of having a near
constant supply of wood ready to turn. A lot depends on how often and
how much time you spend at the lathe.

I have also used the microwave to dry after rough turning. This works
but you have to be careful with the "nuke" time. 1 min on high, allow
to cool for 1/2 hour, repeat until dry, seems to work OK in my 30 year
old Nuke machine.
Hope this is all helpful
Peter
Visit my site at:
http://www.oldtoolsshop.com/Galoots/pHyde/

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Pete
As far as I know, being a Canadian and not in the vicinity of Holm Oak, it
is considered a good turning wood, a little lighter than red oak. Tough turn
as soon as you get a chance else leave the logs at least 8" over long and
seal the ends with Anchorseal or the UK eqivalent. See my site about using
green wood for hints.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"devccxi" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My father is shortly to have a large (40 - 50 ft) Holm Oak cut down in
his garden. As a novice woodturner, I have had been lucky enough to
receive decent amounts of free wood from him as various trees have been
cut down on his property in South Devon, England, mostly Ash and
Sycamore.
I have tried to find out about the suitability of the Holm for turning,
but there is very little information. I know that there have been a few
posts on this newsgroup, but I am looking for practical advice on
storing and drying this species for future use.
Any advice or help would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Pete.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If you coat the whole log with wax, how does it ever dry?
Also, drying speed is a function of wood diameter. Should this also
include the sealer as a factor (eg. 1 month per inch with paint, 1.5
month per inch with wax....)?
Thx

Coat all cut ends with parafin wax
or wax emulsion. Store VERTICAL on a slatted shelf until use. If you
want to turn green then submerge the log in water until you are ready
to turn it . Turn to rough size, coat all exterior surface with wax and
store in a cool dry place in a paper bag or wrapped in newspaper. After
about 3-6 months check moisture content and when dry turn to finish
size.
Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Actually Anchorseal or similar wax emulsion does not stop the wood from
drying, ir retards the drying rate. In theory, and it appears in practice as
well, a slower drying gradient implies less cracking and degrade. When
sealing a log, I use Anchorseal on the ends where the endgrain loses water
far faster than does the side grain. For a bowl I just coat the endgrain on
the outside.

--

______
God bless and safe turning
"Max63" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you coat the whole log with wax, how does it ever dry?
Also, drying speed is a function of wood diameter. Should this also
include the sealer as a factor (eg. 1 month per inch with paint, 1.5
month per inch with wax....)?
Thx

Coat all cut ends with parafin wax
or wax emulsion. Store VERTICAL on a slatted shelf until use. If you
want to turn green then submerge the log in water until you are ready
to turn it . Turn to rough size, coat all exterior surface with wax and
store in a cool dry place in a paper bag or wrapped in newspaper. After
about 3-6 months check moisture content and when dry turn to finish
size.
Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I knew there would be people who could provide
guidance.

I had looked in Mark Baker's book "Wood for Woodturners", but he
doesn't mention this species in there for some reason. I hadn't thought
ot look in his Projects book.

I am going to try both green and seasoned turning, so there is room for
experimentation, but then that is always the best way to find out! The
base of this tree is still a good 3 foot even though it has split at
some time in the past, so there is going to be plenty of scope for
different things.

Regards,
Pete.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello,

What exectly is anchorseal - I went to their website and did not see a
prodeuct that is wax like.

http://www.anchorseal.com/Main.html

Thank you

Marvin
"devccxi" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My father is shortly to have a large (40 - 50 ft) Holm Oak cut down in
his garden. As a novice woodturner, I have had been lucky enough to
receive decent amounts of free wood from him as various trees have been
cut down on his property in South Devon, England, mostly Ash and
Sycamore.
I have tried to find out about the suitability of the Holm for turning,
but there is very little information. I know that there have been a few
posts on this newsgroup, but I am looking for practical advice on
storing and drying this species for future use.
Any advice or help would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Pete.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Marvin
Anchorseal is a wax emulsion originally developed for the lumber industry to
prevent degrade while drying boards. According to indurstry reports it can
save from 5 to 85% of wood that would normally split during drying. While
this might only be a 6" saving on either end of a 12 foot board, for some
species that is an expensive board foot. Just to confuse matters a little
more it is not sold under anchorseal.com but from the manufacturer's web
site http://www.uccoatings.com These are great folks to deal with. If you
live in a cold area like myself, get the clear with antifreeze. Hope this
clears things up. You can see it in use on my web site if you look at the
bowl turning section. I do not think I have more than 2 or 3% loss in bowl
blanks using Anchorseal.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
oups.com...

"devccxi" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My father is shortly to have a large (40 - 50 ft) Holm Oak cut down in
his garden. As a novice woodturner, I have had been lucky enough to
receive decent amounts of free wood from him as various trees have

been
cut down on his property in South Devon, England, mostly Ash and
Sycamore.
I have tried to find out about the suitability of the Holm for

turning,
but there is very little information. I know that there have been a

few
posts on this newsgroup, but I am looking for practical advice on
storing and drying this species for future use.
Any advice or help would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Pete.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

This is one source........ http://www.islandwoodcraft.ca/

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Marvin
The best bet in this part of Canada, I live in Nova Scotia, is to order
direct from UCCoatings. They have a net order system and a toll free number.
Plus they ship out of Ontario so no customs hassle. I think that a 5 gallon
bucket (for me that's a lot) ships for $79. I get it within a week of
ordering.

No affiliation but a very satisfied customer.
______