Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Drying Holm Oak (aka Evergreen)

Pete
As far as I know, being a Canadian and not in the vicinity of Holm Oak, it
is considered a good turning wood, a little lighter than red oak. Tough turn
as soon as you get a chance else leave the logs at least 8" over long and
seal the ends with Anchorseal or the UK eqivalent. See my site about using
green wood for hints.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"devccxi" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My father is shortly to have a large (40 - 50 ft) Holm Oak cut down in
his garden. As a novice woodturner, I have had been lucky enough to
receive decent amounts of free wood from him as various trees have been
cut down on his property in South Devon, England, mostly Ash and
Sycamore.
I have tried to find out about the suitability of the Holm for turning,
but there is very little information. I know that there have been a few
posts on this newsgroup, but I am looking for practical advice on
storing and drying this species for future use.
Any advice or help would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Pete.