Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
espressoMarv espressoMarv is offline

Default Drying Holm Oak (aka Evergreen)

thank you for clearing that up for me Darrell

Marvin

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
Marvin
Anchorseal is a wax emulsion originally developed for the lumber industry to
prevent degrade while drying boards. According to indurstry reports it can
save from 5 to 85% of wood that would normally split during drying. While
this might only be a 6" saving on either end of a 12 foot board, for some
species that is an expensive board foot. Just to confuse matters a little
more it is not sold under anchorseal.com but from the manufacturer's web
site http://www.uccoatings.com These are great folks to deal with. If you
live in a cold area like myself, get the clear with antifreeze. Hope this
clears things up. You can see it in use on my web site if you look at the
bowl turning section. I do not think I have more than 2 or 3% loss in bowl
blanks using Anchorseal.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"espressoMarv" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

What exectly is anchorseal - I went to their website and did not see a
prodeuct that is wax like.

http://www.anchorseal.com/Main.html

Thank you

Marvin
Darrell Feltmate wrote:
Pete
As far as I know, being a Canadian and not in the vicinity of Holm Oak,

it
is considered a good turning wood, a little lighter than red oak. Tough

turn
as soon as you get a chance else leave the logs at least 8" over long

and
seal the ends with Anchorseal or the UK eqivalent. See my site about

using
green wood for hints.
______
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
Truro, NS, Canada
www.aroundthewoods.com
"devccxi" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,

My father is shortly to have a large (40 - 50 ft) Holm Oak cut down in
his garden. As a novice woodturner, I have had been lucky enough to
receive decent amounts of free wood from him as various trees have

been
cut down on his property in South Devon, England, mostly Ash and
Sycamore.
I have tried to find out about the suitability of the Holm for

turning,
but there is very little information. I know that there have been a

few
posts on this newsgroup, but I am looking for practical advice on
storing and drying this species for future use.
Any advice or help would be most appreciated.
Regards,
Pete.