Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Grinder Tune-Up

I recently bought The Woodcraft 8" 1750 rpm grinder and am basically very
pleased with it. After trueing the wheels, it runs very smoothly and does a
fine job of sharpening. My only complaint is that it has a visible amount
of side to side wobble (runout) on both wheels. The runout amounts to about
0.2in on the left wheel and 0.15in on the right at the circumference. I
have questions:
1. Is this something I should even care about?
2. What can I do about it?

The flanges are very solid and have been ground for flatness. The paper
labels glued to the center of the wheel are about 0.015in thick. Could
these fellows be compressing un-evenly and causing my problem?

Roland

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

They all have that problem. I got 3 of them and took them all back before I
got one that was true. The problem is that the plastic insert in the center
of the wheel is not solid enough. You can fix the problem by turning a new
adapter out of wood and replacing the insert with the wood one.

. ..