Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
bizHB

Default ideas for making a casing for a japanese ryoba saw

id like to carry around me trusty saw because although it doesn have a
wide enough set in the teeth to cut to big logs its very sharp and cuts
fast and is very good to pick up small pieces of branch wood i see that
people trimmed when im going about my usualy business. i need to make
myself a easy case that will protect the blade and saw and also the bag
id put it in. ive thought of using leather and cloth but because of the
shape it would be very hard take off. id like it to be easy and fast to
take off. itd be best if it would be able to just slip off. i was
thinking of using two very thin pieces of wood and tying them together
with a thin cord. does any one here have any other suggestions?
thanx
~B
for a pic of the saw
http://www.ehardwicks.com/product_li...O-610_zoom.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 19 Jun 2006 12:23:10 -0700, "bizHB" wrote:
dado a slot in a shallow piece of wood
run a table saw blade at low height and saw a shallow cut thru a piece
of wood. large rubber band will work to hold them on..
id like to carry around me trusty saw because although it doesn have a
wide enough set in the teeth to cut to big logs its very sharp and cuts
fast and is very good to pick up small pieces of branch wood i see that
people trimmed when im going about my usualy business. i need to make
myself a easy case that will protect the blade and saw and also the bag
id put it in. ive thought of using leather and cloth but because of the
shape it would be very hard take off. id like it to be easy and fast to
take off. itd be best if it would be able to just slip off. i was
thinking of using two very thin pieces of wood and tying them together
with a thin cord. does any one here have any other suggestions?
thanx
~B
for a pic of the saw
http://www.ehardwicks.com/product_li...O-610_zoom.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Maybe you should get one of the portable buck saws, they are made for
wet branch wood, and are very compact and quickly put together.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...71&cat=1,42884

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

bizHB wrote:
id like to carry around me trusty saw because although it doesn have a
wide enough set in the teeth to cut to big logs its very sharp and cuts
fast and is very good to pick up small pieces of branch wood i see that
people trimmed when im going about my usualy business. i need to make
myself a easy case that will protect the blade and saw and also the bag
id put it in. ive thought of using leather and cloth but because of the
shape it would be very hard take off. id like it to be easy and fast to
take off. itd be best if it would be able to just slip off. i was
thinking of using two very thin pieces of wood and tying them together
with a thin cord. does any one here have any other suggestions?
thanx
~B
for a pic of the saw
http://www.ehardwicks.com/product_li...O-610_zoom.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Moro Grubb of Little Delving

bizHB wrote:
id like to carry around me trusty saw because although it doesn have a
wide enough set in the teeth to cut to big logs its very sharp and cuts
fast and is very good to pick up small pieces of branch wood i see that
people trimmed when im going about my usualy business. i need to make
myself a easy case that will protect the blade and saw and also the bag
id put it in. ive thought of using leather and cloth but because of the
shape it would be very hard take off. id like it to be easy and fast to
take off. itd be best if it would be able to just slip off. i was
thinking of using two very thin pieces of wood and tying them together
with a thin cord. does any one here have any other suggestions?
thanx
~B
for a pic of the saw
http://www.ehardwicks.com/product_li...O-610_zoom.htm

My "pull saw" has a hole near the end for hanging it "blade-up". It
came packaged in a plastic sleeve, with a split-pin holding the blade
centered in the sleeve, so the teeth couldn't chew up the sides of the
sleeve.

If yours has a similar hole, you could just use that and a split-pin(or
bolt/wingnut, cup hook, shaped dowel) to fix it to an
appropriately-recessed board. Maybe use a velcro cable-tie for the
handle end.

HTH

/M

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

On 19 Jun 2006 12:23:10 -0700, "bizHB" wrote:

id like to carry around me trusty saw because although it doesn have a
wide enough set in the teeth to cut to big logs its very sharp and cuts
fast and is very good to pick up small pieces of branch wood i see that
people trimmed when im going about my usualy business. i need to make
myself a easy case that will protect the blade and saw and also the bag
id put it in. ive thought of using leather and cloth but because of the
shape it would be very hard take off. id like it to be easy and fast to
take off. itd be best if it would be able to just slip off. i was
thinking of using two very thin pieces of wood and tying them together
with a thin cord. does any one here have any other suggestions?

Small diameter rubber tubing with a slit down the side? My pull saw
came with a molded peice that was very similar to that, and it works
fine in the toolbag.