Posted to rec.woodworking

Default ideas for making a casing for a japanese ryoba saw

id like to carry around me trusty saw because although it doesn have a
wide enough set in the teeth to cut to big logs its very sharp and cuts
fast and is very good to pick up small pieces of branch wood i see that
people trimmed when im going about my usualy business. i need to make
myself a easy case that will protect the blade and saw and also the bag
id put it in. ive thought of using leather and cloth but because of the
shape it would be very hard take off. id like it to be easy and fast to
take off. itd be best if it would be able to just slip off. i was
thinking of using two very thin pieces of wood and tying them together
with a thin cord. does any one here have any other suggestions?
thanx
~B
for a pic of the saw
http://www.ehardwicks.com/product_li...O-610_zoom.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

I use several Japanese hand saws - they are excellent tools. I'm
thinking about the same thing. So far I just keep them in the plastic
or carboard sleeve that they come with :-) I've seen carpenters just
placing them side-by-side in their toolboxes with no covers at all.
Not sure Id do that with an expensive one but these days some of the
blades are considered disposable.

If I were to make a sleeve I'd probably go with your idea of using a
thin plywood with spacers. espeically with more than one saw, you could
make a tote like that to hold several.

Another idea would be to cut two pieces of leather slightly larger than
the blade, stitch it along one side and top and use either a tie
string, snap or velcro to close the open side.

It might be a good idea to consider the possibility of moisture with
whatever method you end up using.