Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default Musing about the other end. (getting the most from the tail)

Sorry, no porn or bathroom humor this time.

A few 'true beginners' might not be getting the most use out of their
tailstocks. I'll add a few uses other than for holding spindles and
securing blanks. I hope y'all will add some more. Maybe include some
extra uses for tool posts and toolrests.
Consider using your tailstock for:

Horizontal drill press using a jacobs chuck, Often more capacity and
speed control than using your table drill press.

Drilling long holes using MT boring collars.

Starting a true center hole using a center drill.

Offering a reversed turning up to a vacuum chuck on center using a head
spindle adapter in the tailstock.

Clamping glue ups using shop made MT pads.

Light duty bearing press.

Carver's vise. Well maybe!

Weight for flat glue ups off lathe.

Flat surface for a magnetic base light or magnetic pan.

Using the handwheel as a temporary hook for hanging a plastic grocery
bag for trash.

Probably taboo, but YMMV:
Using the bed ways as an anvil. Using the bed to park paint and glue
pots. Piercing the "Turner's Elbow Tattoo" using a sharp center left in
the tail spindle.
Providing shock therapy for spouse and income for emergency room staff
by dropping on a bare foot. Curing the addiction to woodturning by
trying in vain to correct a misaligned cheap tailstock or live center.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

http//community.webtv.net/almcc/Mac'sMusings

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joe Fleming

Arch,

I have a Stubby with the swivel bed. I also have a very small shop
with no usable workbench. I needed to handplane some alder stock a
couple of years ago. I turned the bed, used a wooden clamp as a bench
hook on the end of the bed, and used the bed as a bench for
handplaning. The mass of the lathe kept everthing rock solid.

Joe Fleming - San Diego

Arch wrote:
[...]

Outboard tail center; useful? useless? impractical? impossible? Arch Woodturning 2 January 19th 06 07:56 AM
harbor freights tail spindle MARGRET HUNTRESS Woodturning 4 May 30th 05 03:45 PM
Not a musing but a wondering Kevin Woodturning 16 May 12th 05 11:29 AM
Tail vise Chuckburkett Woodworking 3 November 23rd 03 01:31 PM
How do I support the tail of a long eccentric turning? Ken Grunke Woodturning 2 August 17th 03 08:23 PM