Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
outofthewoods

Default Help with Graduate please

Having read some of your helpful replies I have come to one conclusion about
our non running Graduate lathe. It has a socket on the back of the head,
and it would seem that this socket is live, my thoughts where that is
might be for a light attachment but then I suddenly thought what about an
emergency foot switch.
so what do you think? could it be for a foot switch, that might explain
why I am not getting any action from the lathe, because the circuit is
broken until the foot switch is plugged in.
If this is the case, there is no sign of any foot switch or lead left in
the workshop where I picked it up from so I am going to have to get
something to close the circuit if not a foot switch then some other plug.
Any thoughts on this idea, does it make sense? Does anyone know what
companies deal with the graduate lathes, and might have fitted the
varispeed.
Thanks for you input,
Hotfoot.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Walt & Jenne Ahlgrim

This is a VERY bad idea! If you are wrong you could be badly burned
when you plug in the lathe. You could start a fire. You could destroy
the motor controller. Or you could save a few bucks. Please find
someone that knows what they are looking at.

Walt A

On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 23:14:50 GMT, "outofthewoods"
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

aaah, I don't think just shorting that plug is a good idea. Just
trace out the wires and see where they go. Draw a schematic and then
it will be clear - if you don't know how to do that, find a high
school student that knows how to use a VOM and let her help you.

wrote:

[...]

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
outofthewoods

I am sure it is a bad idea. Can I just say that at no point did I say I was
going to put a link over the socket. Although I cannot figure out what this
socket is for yet I am not stupid.
I am trying to find out which company did this refit. Way back in my memory
I am sure I remember seeing a Graduate at one of the woodworking shows with
an in built light attachment, but cannot remember which firm was showing
these lathes.

Hotfoot