Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch

Default What's a new turner to do? Musing about turning advice.

Most intermediates and beyond have settled on _their_ way to gather,
turn, embellish, finish and dispose of wood, but how does a beginner
decide what is best for him in his or her particular situation? I
suppose most of us learned by trial and error, but can that long &
slippery path be shortened to reach the comfort and satisfaction of "it
works for me" "it's the best way I've found to do it" "I'm having fun
doing what I'm doing" etc.

Probably the best answer is to find a competent and compatible turning
mentor and learn his or her way and adapt it to your situation, at least
until some turning maturity is gained. This path is not always followed
or even possible: witness the number of repeated basic questions here (a
good thing) and on other forums. Novice, expert or in between, we all
enjoy gabbing about our hobby, but many of these questions must be true
inquiries.

Given the multiple, often diametrically opposed methods that are used
successfully and advised (sometimes heatedly 'G') by accomplished
turners, how did you later beginners and early intermediates (including
lurkers _please_) decide on whom to believe, what equipment to buy and
what to do with it?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Wally

Turners today don't realize how fortunate they are to have the many
resources that are available today for learning. Books, videos, clubs,
websites and more. Arch, you must feel the same way because you came
from the "old school" too.

From the time that I acquired my first lathe in 1936, until 1982 I

never had any contact with other turners. There weren't any clubs, at
least in my area, turning books were all on spindle turning, and of
course no videos or websites. Tools and lathes were made for spindle
turning. If I wanted to turn bowls I had to modify existing tools or
make my own. Some of my turning methods were somewhat unorthodox by
todays standards. However, I still use some of the tools and methods of
my "dark ages" days. My first bowl gouge, acquired in 1982, changed
everything for me. Of course there was nobody to teach me how to use it
because very few people knew any more than I did. I must have
eventually figured it out. My first trip to Provo in 1985 changed a lot
for me.

One of my pet peeves is turners who offer advice, often poor advice,
when they really don't know the answers themselves.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

On Fri, 26 May 2006 09:56:53 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

Given the multiple, often diametrically opposed methods that are used
successfully and advised (sometimes heatedly 'G') by accomplished
turners, how did you later beginners and early intermediates (including
lurkers _please_) decide on whom to believe, what equipment to buy and
what to do with it?

I'd call myself an early intermediate- and my purchases are determined
by opportunity more than anything else. I bought a Midi lathe because
it was what I could afford- and got the Delta instead of the Jet
because it matches the rest of my shop, and it came with a set of
turning tools that seem just fine to me. I then upgraded to my bigger
lathe because I was offered it at a reasonable price, and happened to
be in the middle of a contract that was paying well enough to get it
while it was available. I ignored sage advice about chucks not
because I don't believe it, but because a $40 Grizzly chuck fits into
my budget a whole lot better than a $200 premium chuck, and it does
the job I ask it to.

As far as method goes- truth be told, I don't "believe" anyone. That
isn't to say that people are lying or anything of the sort, but having
worked with wood for a long time, I go with what the wood and the tool
tell me to do. If something isn't working, I try something different.
If something sounds good on the list, I give it a try- sometimes I
like the results, sometimes not. Could be a misunderstanding in a lot
of the cases that don't work out- it's just text here, after all.

As to what I do with the equipment, that's the same as anyone else
with a hobby- I do whatever strikes my fancy. Usually I turn bowls,
but tonight I turned a really big bedpost (the second one is going on
tomorrow.) Sometimes I make parts and make my own tools. I've even
made two-by junk into sawdust just for the sake of playing around with
different beads and coves to see what I like. It'd be no fun to take
someone else's word on what the *correct* use of my investment is.

I might do some more spindle work now, come to think of it. The
bedpost was fun- it's about 39" tall and 8" in diameter. Couldn't use
the "ironwood" I mentioned in an earlier thread, as I discovered too
many nails to make it much fun, but I remembered the long, straight
logs of basswood in the garage, and figured they would do. If they
crack, I'll fill 'em in with bondo and paint the whole thing glossy
white. (Made them look sort of colonial with the white paint in mind)
Quite an experience running the lathe near it's full capacity for the
first time!
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joe Fleming

I'm not in these categories anymore, but would offer these ideas:

1 - You know when you have advanced past the intermediate level when
your annual turning purchases DECREASE. I have a huge assortment of
"must have" tools, accessories and wood that were inspired by a
demonstration, a new article, a sale, etc. For me to get all this
stuff used, I need to go backwards and recall the time that I wanted
to: make lots of boxes, make vases, make off-center inserts, make
little bowls, etc. Now, I have settled down a bit in my turning
wanderings and use a more fixed set of tools and accessories. Last
year, I only bought two turning tools because they were on sale.
Neither is yet in use because I haven't used up their predecessors.

2 - Don't feel like you need to specialize in one type of turning.
Play around. Try many things. I've been turning for seven years now
(still a novice by Arch and Wally's tenure), but I do not feel
compelled to do the "same thing" over and over.

3 - Do pick a mentor whether he/she is a local turner, a pro from whom
you take a class, or a video presentation. Do practice their
techniques and master them. The only way to improve is to do. At a
point where you feel comfortable with a turning style, attempt a
technique from another mentor. Ask the new mentor why they do "B"
where the other person does "A". And if you do switch, it is OK to
jump in head first. You can't practice Stuart Batty's scraping
techniques without a negative rake scraper. Get one.

4 - Don't become attached to a piece of wood, even if you paid for it.
I go through my pile about once a year searching for newly converted
firewood (read: lots of checks), or stuff that I just won't ever touch.
Donate the firewood or burn it. Donate or sell the unused items at a
club meeting or trade with another for what you want. Purging is good
for the soul and the wood shop.

Joe Fleming - San Diego

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On 26 May 2006 08:42:52 -0700, "Wally" wrote:

Turners today don't realize how fortunate they are to have the many
resources that are available today for learning. Books, videos, clubs,
websites and more. Arch, you must feel the same way because you came
from the "old school" too.

I can 2nd that... especially with the web and the folks here!

I've learned more in the last couple of years (since I found this group) then in
the last 20 or so on my own.... and made some good friends along the way..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis