Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default What a small hole in Jet's tool rest for?

Hi! Can anyone explain the purpose of a small (1/2") hole in the body
of Jet Mini's tool rest? The hole drilled directly in the left shoulder
of the tool rest. I like quality of Jet-1014 and I know that there is
no useless hole in this lathe Any idea?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Sorry, the hole is even smaller - approx 1/4", not 1/2"...

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger

Dunno, but a lot of castings have little holes so the part can be hung from a
painting conveyor. Dan

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi! Can anyone explain the purpose of a small (1/2") hole in the body
of Jet Mini's tool rest? The hole drilled directly in the left shoulder
of the tool rest. I like quality of Jet-1014 and I know that there is
no useless hole in this lathe Any idea?

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

The mischieveous (sp?) spirits which sometimes
occupy rotating pieces of wood are entranced
by the unexplainable hole in the tool rest. As long
as they are distracted they are unable to gang up
on you and cause a catch/ dig in / explosion.

Make sure you keep that hole clear and clean. Applying
a little Internation Orange paint around both sides of
the hole will make it more effective. The evil spirits
trying to get into your turning will take their eye
"off the ball" and fail to enter the turning at the
centerline of rotation, thus skipping harmlessly ofd
it. You should wear safety glasses though because
the last thing you want is to have one of those evil
spirits to get in your eye. You have heard of "the
evil eye" right?

There's very little on a good machine that's not there
for a reason, albeit an obscure reason.

charlie b