Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Tom Storey

Default Dry Burls

A friend has given me four burls, two 18" dia. and two 12" dia. They look to
be sound but they are quite dry. I think they are yellow cedar. Any
suggestions on how to prepare them for turning a few bowls? I'd like to use
the McN center saver on them.

Thanks!

--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
flashfriend555

If they are dry they are probably not fit for turning. You may send
them to me for disposal.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
william kossack

besides sending them to someone else for 'disposal' it depends on what
you want to make.

How thick are they?

Any natural edge or are they just slabs.

Basically you need to rough the outside of the largest bowl. Then find
the center of the piece to set the height of the cutter.

I have the Mahoney DVD which is very helpful. If you've just got your
center savers and not had much practice with them I'd recommend the
video and then practice on some chunks that are not as nice.

My biggest two problems with the center savers are first the difficulty
of finding chunks large enough. My other problem is being too
optimistic about my skill with them and trying to make the bowls too thin.

Tom Storey wrote:
A friend has given me four burls, two 18" dia. and two 12" dia. They look to
be sound but they are quite dry. I think they are yellow cedar. Any
suggestions on how to prepare them for turning a few bowls? I'd like to use
the McN center saver on them.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
M.J.

Mark the centre of the sawn face. Drill for a screw chuck. Turn the
outside and form a tenon at the foot. Chuck the tenon and core the inside
bowls.... Hope this helps. If not then give me a call. Number on the
website below....

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

"Tom Storey" wrote in message
A friend has given me four burls, two 18" dia. and two 12" dia. They look
to be sound but they are quite dry. I think they are yellow cedar. Any
suggestions on how to prepare them for turning a few bowls? I'd like to use
the McN center saver on them.

Thanks!

--
Tom in Qualicum Beach, BC

Tasmanian Burls and Timbers. Burlman Woodturning 2 October 25th 05 12:24 AM
Sawing Burls M&S Woodworking 2 September 19th 05 11:21 PM
Amboyna and other Burls Burls-Queen Woodworking 0 January 4th 05 03:53 AM
Amboyna, Afzelia, Kati & YaMaNay Burls Burls-Queen Woodworking 0 December 30th 04 06:23 AM
larger burls and chunks? william kossack Woodturning 25 March 15th 04 04:09 AM