Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
william kossack

Default Dry Burls

besides sending them to someone else for 'disposal' it depends on what
you want to make.

How thick are they?

Any natural edge or are they just slabs.

Basically you need to rough the outside of the largest bowl. Then find
the center of the piece to set the height of the cutter.

I have the Mahoney DVD which is very helpful. If you've just got your
center savers and not had much practice with them I'd recommend the
video and then practice on some chunks that are not as nice.

My biggest two problems with the center savers are first the difficulty
of finding chunks large enough. My other problem is being too
optimistic about my skill with them and trying to make the bowls too thin.

Tom Storey wrote:
A friend has given me four burls, two 18" dia. and two 12" dia. They look to
be sound but they are quite dry. I think they are yellow cedar. Any
suggestions on how to prepare them for turning a few bowls? I'd like to use
the McN center saver on them.

Thanks!